Rtc and Tsn values

Ccbuilder72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Stillman Valley, IL
Looking for some advice. I'm going to sell my 20" rtc and 20" Tsn locally( Rockford Illinois ). Was looking for advice on what to ask. Time to get some monsters that actually are active.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Looking for some advice. I'm going to sell my 20" rtc and 20" Tsn locally( Rockford Illinois ). Was looking for advice on what to ask. Time to get some monsters that actually are active.
I'm sorry to say but in my area you can't even give them away

If you lived in the UK I could tell you at least 3 LFS that have been trying to give away 8 in total for over a year now

They are 2 types of fish people are scared of owning due to the well known fact they get massive

What also doesn't help matters is yours are all ready sub adults and most people want to buy them small and enjoy them as long as possible

Good lucky I hope you find them a good home

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Big Cats like these are hard to get rid off.
RTCs are usually active if they have the right space, dont know about tsn

Ccbuilder72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Stillman Valley, IL
I have 2xrtc, 1xtsn, a pacu, and a black shark. They were in a 135 and very active. I moved them to a 900 gallon in October and they all sit together in one corner until the lights go out, then they are active. Maybe I should cram them back into the 135, lol!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have 2xrtc, 1xtsn, a pacu, and a black shark. They were in a 135 and very active. I moved them to a 900 gallon in October and they all sit together in one corner until the lights go out, then they are active. Maybe I should cram them back into the 135, lol!
Or maybe they don't like your new lights as you can't have the same lights on a 900gal as you had on a 135

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
You are right. When relaxed, large RTC and TSN are quite active. Not IDS-active but not inactive at all. Something is stressing them out in your new tank. Your responsibility I'd think is to find out what. We learn from experience and from solving problems.

Perhaps T1 is right and it is as simple as too much light. Or the water is not adequate. Or aeration insufficient. Etc.

How big is the black shark and does it try to skin any of its tank mates? They are masters at that but the result is very obvious, so I don't think you'd miss it.

Photos of the setup could help us to help you. So would water parameters and other essentials.

You may be able to find someone to buy them from you if you (1) are very lucky and (2) do not particular care where they go to. Otherwise, it will be hard to give them away.

Ccbuilder72

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Stillman Valley, IL
The black shark is about 10", he doesn't bother anybody. PH8.2, NO2 0, NO3 0, NH3NH4 0. My filtration is a 40gal. Brute can with half lava rock, half pot scrubbies, and filter cloth on top. This exits into a 100gal trough that houses my heaters and pothos plants. I have three 1.5" drains that go back to the pond(2 on at a time). I switch them periodically to change the flow in the pond. One is connected to an eight foot spray bar. My lighting is 3 t12 fixtures 6' above the pond. I have tried anything from a single 40w bulb to what I have now. I have pics, but cannot seem to figure out how to post.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sounds like you are quite experienced and your setup seems good (more info is needed though to be sure).

It is often not easy to figure out what stresses your fish. I'd still recommend earnestly trying.

-- How long ago were they rehomed into the pond?
-- What's the flow rate of filtration?
-- Do the fish feed as well as they should? As well as they did in 135?
-- If you turn off the pond light and just leave a dim room light or a distant light on, do they stop huddling and start moving around?

In general: Unless they are sick, I'd think of a possibility of some kind of constant, low level stress - in no particular order - toxins NH3, NO2, NO3 (including proper test kit and its application and freshness), light, bullying or predation attempts, low oxygen (too little agitation, too warm water, too much algae and plants rob water of oxygen badly at night time), contaminants like heavy metals, lubricants, detergents, cosmetics/perfumes, oils, grease, cleaners, sprays, wrong water hardness, salinity, pH, temp, large swings in water parameters, left-over tap water disinfectants, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store