Would a Bichir eel get along with my Tiger Oscar

minivan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
United States
thinking about picking up a Bichir eel to add to my tank with my Oscar and I was just wondering if anyone knew if the two would get along or if I would be asking for trouble.

qguy

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Vancouver. Canada
go ask the oscar :)

It really depends on the fish, some get along some just dont...

rearrange the tank before putting the bichir to (hopefully ) remove any territories extablished by the oscar

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
go ask the oscar :)

It really depends on the fish, some get along some just dont...

rearrange the tank before putting the bichir to (hopefully ) remove any territories extablished by the oscar
This. Though the potential for predation is also a major concern, regardless of the oscar's general temperament. Since you use the name "bichir eel," I assume you're most likely referring to Polypterus senegalus, which grow quite slowly, with growth in captive bred specimens often coming to a near standstill once they reach 7-9 inches. So even if the oscar is small now, it could potentially outgrow the bichir to the point of seeing it as prey. If it's an adult oscar, you definitely won't be able to keep them together unless you either get the bichir at adult size or grow it out yourself.

pisalious

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Dubai
i had two ornate bichirs around 7-8 inches and a 10 inch oscar in a 125 g and had no problems..U need drift wood for the bichir..how big is ur tank and how big are the fish ?

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
You might want to upgrade your tank before even thinking about adding any bichirs :)

Sent from my SCH-R830C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
My tank is a 55 gallon and my Oscar Is at least 12", but he hasn't been a very aggressive fish.
Most people would jump down your throat at keeping a 12" fish in a tank that has the width/depth of 12.5". While it is surviving, its quality of life is greatly diminished.

Think about making your bedroom the size of a walk-in closet, where you could only spread your arms the length of your elbows. You'd be able to get by like this but you'd be cramped and your personality would be greatly altered.

As for bichirs, if you got rid of the O and kept the 55g then you could get a few and grow them out but you'd benefit them more with a larger tank as they grow as well.

Just my 2cents.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store