swimg pool sand filter as a biological filter

george09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
peterborough on
ok the situation is my tank is 260 g houses a breeding pair of stingrays and are a hi waste out put fish. would using a swiming pool sand filter and pump be ideal ? looking into a few options here. first is the possiblity of going 100 % sand filter depending on how much they can handle. Anouther pissibility is maybe having it run with in and out to my sump so the watter passes mech filtration aswell. the idea here is that the sand filter would be 100 percent pure biological no maintance needed kinda idea. what do you guys think looking for some ideas for sure.

REDTAIL1928

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
I would add a big ass sump and possibly a sand filter as well. Do good quality water changes and thats it. As long as u dont overload the tank with other fish and just the Rays, u should be fine. I found rays can tolerate nitrates up to 40 or so ppm with no issues. Good food and a peaceful habitat and u will have success!! Good luck

Sent from my SGH-M819N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
It will work. However, you are going to want to swap out the pump to one designed for aquarium use. Pool pumps produce more noise, heat, and use more electricity than the pumps constructed for aquariums.

Reactions: born2lovefish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store