Arowana and Discus. Tank mates?

Jelesey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Philippines
Hi there,

Was just wondering if I could include about 5pcs 5" Discus to my Arowana Tank, currently my SR arowana is 10.5" and has tank mates (Flagtail, Mphimbwe, Blue Emperor and Dragon Fin).
Tank Specs 60" x 30" x 30". I would really appreciate advice on this. Adv. Thanks!

pisalious

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Dubai
Some aros get along with discus but it is a trail and error thing...Also there will be limited space since the tank will become over crowded when the aro reaches 20" in less than a year..If you are willing to end up upgrading soon i say go for it if not its not worth spending the money(discus are quite expensive and need to be in groups ) and killing the discus..

Jelesey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Philippines
Well I was hoping for the tank to last atleast 2 years before I need an upgrade :p My wife really wants the Discus in the tank, was thinking of simply having 1 arowana and 5 discus in the tank, would that be more feasible? and how's the odds on the discus getting killed of by the aro? currently, i have moved fishes around my aquariums and he only got aggressive against an RTG arowana, but he wasn't really fighting with the RTG, the RTG jst got hurt probably cause he was only 7.5" and simple taps from the SR arowana probably damaged him more.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Hi there,

Was just wondering if I could include about 5pcs 5" Discus to my Arowana Tank, currently my SR arowana is 10.5" and has tank mates (Flagtail, Mphimbwe, Blue Emperor and Dragon Fin).
Tank Specs 60" x 30" x 30". I would really appreciate advice on this. Adv. Thanks!
I would be worried about the flagtail sucking on the discus

The flagtail maybe ok with the fish you have now but discus and rays are a different story

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jelesey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Philippines
hmm, so the arowana fighting w/ the discus isn't the problem? I am pretty much ok with moving the flagtail to another tank.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
hmm, so the arowana fighting w/ the discus isn't the problem? I am pretty much ok with moving the flagtail to another tank.
As long as the discus are a good size you don't normally have problems with aro and discus

You will need to keep the temp fairly hot for the discus which the aro may not like

Jelesey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Philippines
I live in the Philippines, even w/o a heater my water stays at 28C but I do have heaters and try to keep the temperature @ 30C. I'm still researching everything right now while I'm working on my water to become pristine.

On a sidenote: my water is @ 0 ppm ammonia and in between 2 and 5ppm nitirite, should i get a chemical to make the nitrite not so toxic? I use R.O. water and do a daily water change of 50% (I own a Water Purifying station so, water isn't much of a problem)

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Also I have a 35W UV sterilizer, should I turn it of while my nitrite is still too high?
A uv should be turned on 24/7

No tank should have nitrite

I suggest you leave the tank for a long time to mature as you don't want to mess around with it with discus in

Jelesey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2015
Philippines
yeah I check it daily, currently in the process on getting my nitrogen cycle. I just finished with my ammonia yesterday and it finally dropped to zero, my nitrite has been increasing for the past 2 days. Will wait till my nitrite is @ 0ppm before introducing the Discus. Thanks a lot T1Karmann, I really appreciate the advice, I now feel more confident in getting Discus ^_^

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store