moving gar from tank to tank

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hey guys. I'm setting up a 300g tank at the moment, and was looking for some advice as to how I can move my gar from their 180 into the 300 without hurting them. I'm afraid they will thrash around and break their backs. What are some of the techniques you have used?

I'm not moving them as soon as the tank is set up and ready, I'm going to let them hit 15" first. Currently one is 13.5-14" and one is around 11".

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
My thought was to "gently chase" them into a 5g bucket and then lift it, cross the room to the 300g, and gently pour. I mean... they're going to go ballistic, right?

If you have experience moving arowana from tank to tank, I am also interested to hear your techniques, purely out of curiosity.

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
I use a large net from bass pro. I think it is a trout net. Nice quality and the entire fish can fit without bending.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
What about the thrashing?

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Some people dose tank water with clove oil I think? Check please, used as a paralitic, then net/pillowcase and bucket

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
I don't want to dose everything in the tank though... Or maybe I do. I'll be moving an assortment of Polypterus in that same timeframe. Can anyone confirm clove oil as a paralytic, or suggest a dose? Are there risks involved? Does it have an effect on bio filters?

The tank will be kept running. I might put marble rays in it, and grow out an arowana. Just not sure what will happen with the 180 yet, and would want to compromise a functioning system.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
After some research, clove oil appears to be a commonly used paralytic... and is also used for euthenasia T.T

I will consider this as a last resort. Any other recommendations to be spoken of?

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Hi

When I had to move mine, I only used a net.
if you are planning to move them around 15" They´re body will be solid enough so trashing should not be a problem.
I like the KIS method... just use a large net where they can fit and as soon as they are inside the net, pull them out of the water really quick

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
When holding the fish they will thrash like crazy. Make sure you have one hand over the eyes and head so they don't bang against anything.

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
i have found that if I take most of the water out of the tank they are in it makes it a lot easier to net them. I had to do this last year when I had gotten a bad algae bloom from some live plants

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store