Introducing a small endli with a large one

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Hi, I currently have an endli around 14", I have come across a short body endli around 5-6", do you think they would be fine together? Or would the 14" try to eat the 5-6"?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
The short answer-maybe
The long answer- it depends on the fish. Many including myself have introduced poly's as small as 8" with fish over 20". Others have had canabalism issues with much smaller size differences.

Some questions- do you feed live foods to the larger one? How has it been with other tank mates? What is the girth like on the sb?

At the end of the day there is risk and it comes down to your willingness to wager it.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
The short answer-maybe
The long answer- it depends on the fish. Many including myself have introduced poly's as small as 8" with fish over 20". Others have had canabalism issues with much smaller size differences.

Some questions- do you feed live foods to the larger one? How has it been with other tank mates? What is the girth like on the sb?

At the end of the day there is risk and it comes down to your willingness to wager it.
+1 it depends on a lot different variables. You also have to take thought into that the larger endli will grow larger.

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
This is the picture of the short body. Is it a good short body? The 14" endli has been feeding on massivores, prawns and morio worms. The small 5-6" has been feeding on massivores and prawns and smelts.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1423749419.271078.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1423749433.338890.jpg

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Big fish eat little fish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogLycHY_4nU

Excellent Radiohead quote.

+1 on all of the feedback. I know its tough to not get an exact answer, but there really isnt one. My big Congicus has attempted to eat an ornate that was just over 1/2 his size (13.5" and 7.5"). That same ornate was nearly eaten by a lap a few months prior, and it was 3/4 the size of the lap. Everything seems to be much more calm for the ornate now, but it got ambushed several times before settling. If you're going to do it--do it on a day when you can sit and watch for the majority of the day. Intervene if necessary.

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
I had an endli that was around 15 inches and it was housed with bichirs as small as 7 inches and i never had any issues. It was also housed with only one mid level swimming fish so it ever had trouble getting food. I never gave it feeders and only fed pellets with occasional tilapia or worms as treats.

I sold it to a guy on CL over the summer and that same endli has since eaten a 10 inch bichir and 5 inch TSN.

So, there are a few possibilities. My fish are well fed because there is only one mid level fish trying to catch the sinking pellets. and i think if the big endli is well fed, it isnt going to expend the energy on catching a live fish. It could also be that it just hit a growth spurt and needed the extra calories.

In your specific case i wouldnt trust the larger one. it just seems like too big of a size difference.

andrewsin

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
london
Thanks for the advice guys! I've put the new small endli in another tank now! Not going to introduce them till the small short body gets big! Really happy with it! Never ever have a seen a short body endli for sale in UK! Anyone else got some short body endli pics to share?!

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
If you don't mind my asking, what does a short body run in the UK?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store