Purple wolf fish info

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
I just got back from an aquarium store today and noticed that they have purple wolf fish in stock so I asked the owner about them and he said "I doesnt know much about them I just gets them in stock sometimes" so anyways he wasn't very helpful obviously so I just want know their temperment,aquarium care and pretty much all info needed about them. I tried doing internet research but i couldn't find anything on them.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
I typed in Purple wolf fish in the "google" search bar and got lots of info so you may want to try a little harder!

Read this if you are bored! http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...nus-Sp-(Peru)-quot-Purple-Wolffish-quot/page4

:popcorn: GET A TANK YET?

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-normal-quot&p=1631275&viewfull=1#post1631275

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?559968-My-erythrinus-Sp-Tahuayo

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?536332-Erythrinus-Sp-Peru

Freshwater Aquarium/rainbow wolffish

Expert: Susan Fields - 11/8/2005

Question
i just acquired a purple wolfish and i don't know much about them i have looked on the internet and haven't found much at all could you help me please?

Answer
Hi Zach, Wolf-fish typically range across the top of South America. They can even be found in brackish waters where rivers pour into the ocean. Only aquarists who love large predatory fish keep wolf-fish, their large teeth can clearly be seen protruding from their mouths. Beware of handling them with bare hands!
In the wilderness Wolfish can fill their Swim bladder up with atmospheric air and travel long distances in certain times when they need to find "greener pasture". Wolffish will also gladly get out of their tank if possible. As with all fish, keep them covered well!
Most wolf-fish top out in size at about a foot. This is generally because most people keep them in too small a tank. To reach their full size potential an aquarium of more than 55 gallons is needed.
Feeding- Wolffish love all live fish, they can even easily overpower and then swallow a fish up to two thirds their length. They most enjoy chunkey frozen meaty foods along with night crawlers. Because of their high polluting feeding habits, you'll need to filter a wolf-fish's water very well and make frequent large water changes. As I have said before Wolf-fish need lots of room and at least a 70 gallon aquarium in order for them to grow nicely. Please provide a secure place for them to hide when they feel threatened. Oh- and there are few fish that can be kept with Wolves. Only larger fish whom learn to keep to their own but where they will also bear the scars of the wolf.
A Normal tropical temperature of about 75 F will keep Wolves quite happy. Temperament- Wolves are nocturnal, they like to hide until feeding time comes. Because of this night shift, you should feed them in the evening. However, they will learn to adjust to your schedule if given time. Decorations in your Wolf tank will be a task. Because they grow so large they usually knock plants loose. Sticking with Plastic plants is your best bet. Add whatever decorations, wood or rock (aquarium safe of course) as you like. Back in nature Wolf-fish breed in caves. The females will lay many thousands of eggs over an long two-week period. After hatching in four days. Larger fry will surely eat the smaller ones. Unfortunately you will certainly not be able to spawn these water-wolves in captivity.

Naturally originating from Panama South to Brazil, Wolf-fish are a predatory fish whom to those with a large enough aquarium and lots of spare time, would make a interesting species whom are considered some of the most aggressive fish around. Though they can have a bad temperament, a Rainbow wolf-fish can make a rather undemanding pet in terms of water quality. Feed them right and keep their water clean, clean, clean! But do keep in mind they can and usually will grow to 20 inches with good care!

I really hope this helps! If you have anymore questions, feel free to email me!

Happy fish keeping and good luck with your water-wolf!
Karen~
PS: Please in the meantime, research any fish you are thinking of buying beforehand. This prevents many heartaches and possible losses because of lack of information and knowledge about that species temperament, behavior, and care.

You can use this and research your own fish! It's your complete tropical fish resource.

http://www.tropicalfishfinder.co.uk/fish.asp

Reactions: Chicken.Nugget

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Ok thanks Blkpiranha but whats there compatibility with other fish like for example a lima shovlenose catfish or jack dempsey?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
LOL everytimes he came back from LFS...he's gonna come here and ask about something he saw over there and start asking all silly combo fishes questions.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
LOL everytimes he came back from LFS...he's gonna come here and ask about something he saw over there and start asking all silly combo fishes questions.

Isn't the point of this forum to ask questions about stuff your unsure of so you won't end up messing something up big time?
Sent from my SCH-R830C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Isn't the point of this forum to ask questions about stuff your unsure of so you won't end up messing something up big time?
hahaha look like you're not visit this site regularly...you should search or tracking all his posts and you would understand.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
hahaha look like you're not visit this site regularly...you should search or tracking all his posts and you would understand.
Actually I've read all of his threads and I stand by my prior statement. But to not get off topic I know nothing about a 'purple wolffish' but I would be interested to see what it looks like

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store