Just had a real scare.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Did a water change tonight on a 180 with our Midas,Coatz and walking Catfish.Filled tank back to about five eights full and went up for supper. My wife told me we had a fish buyer coming over and when she came they went down stairs. My wife saw the tank wasn't full and turned on the water which was now straight cold. This means the water was some where around 40 degrees F. Long story short she forgot and came upstairs after 30 minutes or so she remembered rhe water was on and shut it off.
I went down a few minutes later and most of the fish were on their sides or upside down.
I get the syphon . Things look alittle less bleak
hose and drain about 20 gallons of water. Then add straight hot and a few of the coatz start to come around. Things look a little less bleak. So I wait about 10 minutes drain out and add another 20 gallons of hot water. The hot water tank is now cool so I let it warm up and give the fish a half hour to warm up slowly. When I go back down the fish all look pretty good but I take out another 30 and add hot water. When I came upstairs all of the fish looked good and I feel a lot better too.
Did I do the right thing and will the fish be ok? This is one thing that really sucks about living in Alberta in the winter our tap water is almost ice water.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Why wouldn't ur wife check the water temp when she turned it on..... It's like the number 1 common sense thing when it comes to water changes

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
Why wouldn't ur wife check the water temp when she turned it on..... It's like the number 1 common sense thing when it comes to water changes
Wrong question... Good way to get him injured, or worse. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I have the worst hot water heater at my apartment. Doing a water change on a 90, 75 and 40 gal requires almost a full tank of hot water to fill each 70% full with 75* water. I have to be really careful, if anyone washes dishes, showers, or does laundry a couple hours before water change time I'm screwed. This severely limits when I can do water changes.

Glad your fish seem ok. I've accidentally put ice cold water in my tanks when the hot water inexplicably ran out mid water change.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
This is why I never do over 25% at a time, even with a python water changer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Bill, look at the bright side. We never have to look for ice cubes when we want a cold glass of water. :)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Did a water change tonight on a 180 with our Midas,Coatz and walking Catfish.Filled tank back to about five eights full and went up for supper. My wife told me we had a fish buyer coming over and when she came they went down stairs. My wife saw the tank wasn't full and turned on the water which was now straight cold. This means the water was some where around 40 degrees F. Long story short she forgot and came upstairs after 30 minutes or so she remembered rhe water was on and shut it off.
I went down a few minutes later and most of the fish were on their sides or upside down.
I get the syphon . Things look alittle less bleak
hose and drain about 20 gallons of water. Then add straight hot and a few of the coatz start to come around. Things look a little less bleak. So I wait about 10 minutes drain out and add another 20 gallons of hot water. The hot water tank is now cool so I let it warm up and give the fish a half hour to warm up slowly. When I go back down the fish all look pretty good but I take out another 30 and add hot water. When I came upstairs all of the fish looked good and I feel a lot better too.
Did I do the right thing and will the fish be ok? This is one thing that really sucks about living in Alberta in the winter our tap water is almost ice water.
If your fish are still alive, you did the right thing

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Thanks guys. To answer why my wife didn't check water temp we had a real stressful day and it hits her harder than some. Oftrn times in larger tanks I will add strait cold to induce spawning but not that much cold.
I think we are given these scares in life to keep us on our toes. You can bet I will be alot more careful from now on.
Your right RD we never have to worry about a cold glass of water.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
"To err is human"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store