porcupine river ray

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Can anyone give me info or pictures of the porcupine river Ray?... How does it compare to a motoro ?

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I believe you're talking about potamotrygon hystrix.
They are one of the smallest rays, relatively cheap, and pretty easy to take care of which makes them a great starter ray. They except a wide variety of foods and can be pellet trained pretty easily.
As for how they compare to motoros, they stay allot smaller but are just as hardy and just as excepting of many new foods. They are allot harder to find and a little bit (most of the time) more expensive than motoros.
Its not easy to find true hystrix though. If you saw it at an lfs, I'm 90% sure, without even seeing a picture, that its not a true hystrix.
If you're interested in some, I believe spotfin has a few pups left and i remember there was a guy selling an adult pair not long ago.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
If they aren't hystrix what do they usually turn out to be.... They seem to have a distinct pattern ... Doesn't seem hard to pick them apart although I may be wrong

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
they are often wrongly imported and you end up with humerosa or something. either that or they are mislabled and sold as "hystrix" but actually arnt.

all young rays can be very difficult to get onto pellets but will usually take worms to start with.

here are some i used to have :

DSC02746.jpg

DSC02746.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store