Datnoids eating snails?

Moosehollow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2010
Portland, OR
Has anyone heard of Datnoids eating snails? I recently had to move and before I moved I got a bit of a snail problem due to some plants that I had gotten, anyways I gave my fish to my buddy to start over after I moved and when I set my tank back up I had about a billion snails come up out of the gravel. I brought home a beautiful little silver Datnoid about two inches long. I had planned on picking up some assassin snails and some loaches to take care of the snails but in a few days I noticed that there was only a few snails left in the tank that I could find! The Datnoid was being fed live feeder guppies and my plan was to hold off on feeding him for a bit and try and get him started on hikari massivore, but I'm starting to think that maybe he's not going hungry like I had planned... Anyone else seen a Datnoid eating snails. I haven't seen him eat them but there sure had been a reduction in the amount of snails in my tank.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
I was thinking about making a thread and asking that question as well. I think datnoids do eat snails. The baby-medium size ramshorn snails I have in my little 3 inch dat's planted 10 gallon grow tank have slowly disappeared with empty shells almost everywhere I look after I introduced truckloads of them to eat the dat's leftover pellets. No salt, no medications in the tank. I think he's been slowly stalking up on them and bam, sucked the snail out eating them without the shells. I'm gonna see if I can video cam the little guy in the act..

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I was thinking about making a thread and asking that question as well. I think datnoids do eat snails. The baby-medium size ramshorn snails I have in my little 3 inch dat's planted 10 gallon grow tank have slowly disappeared with empty shells almost everywhere I look after I introduced truckloads of them to eat the dat's leftover pellets. No salt, no medications in the tank. I think he's been slowly stalking up on them and bam, sucked the snail out eating them without the shells. I'm gonna see if I can video cam the little guy in the act..
This is very interestinf

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store