First Ammonia Spike

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just had my first ammonia spike in 15 years and I have some questions for anyone who has first hand experience with them.
On Monday I noticed that all of my fish were acting funny in my 55 gallon grow out. They were laying around, not eating, and looking lethargic. They also appeared to be showing some early signs of disease (white spots, minor fin damage etc.) I treated with Melafix the first night but realized the next day, sort of like the canary in the coal mine, that even though the spots looked better something was still wrong.
Assuming it was a water problem I thought Id do a water transfusion from my main tank. I emptied about 60-70% of the water from the 55 and refilled it straight from the healthy 220. I also ordered my first master test kit, which arrived yesterday, and moved both fish from the 55 into makeshift quarantine tanks over the side of the main tank.
I tested the water in the 55 yesterday, every level is on the money except for the ammonia which is at 0.25ppm. I know that's unacceptable, so I'm keeping the little guys in quarantine until it gets to zero.
Here's my problem, I want to move them back as quickly as possible and am unsure how long it will take for my cycle to reset. I was thinking about using the API quick start if necessary, seeing as the little guys couldn't be doing to well in the small confines. I havent changed anything recently with my filters in the 55, which have been running for years without problems. Any ideas on getting this tank back on track quickly would be appreciated. I know it involves re-establishing my bacteria,which from scratch could take a month, but hopefully somebody has a couple tricks to jump start it. Thanks.image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Having gone through the process not too long ago, I would use Seachem Prime to help neutralize the (low) ammonia in the 55g. This way, you could put the fishes back and lower their health risk. This should also not impact your cycling process either. Have you done anything differently in terms of feeding lately or anything to potentially cause this that you can think of? Your tank seems to have been established and it's not like a "new tank". If you want to try to help speed up the increase of BB, then you may want to use Seachem Stabilize. That's what I would do at this point and keep testing.

I'm sure the resident "experts" may chime in with other suggestions and parameter checks as well.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Do you have any nitrates? You can have ammonia spikes not related to a cycling issue if you have an unexpected source for ammonia in the tank, i.e., dead or decaying matter in the tank. Are all your fish accounted for? Is there any uneaten food in the tank? I fed my fish unlimited amounts of watermelon and got an ammonia spike..no more watermelon for my rascals....all the watermelon debris and juice was like pouring ammonia directly into the tank.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
+1 pacu. .25 not that bad but do need to look into the reason. prime can handle that just fine.

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
I think I can trace it to a large water change I did last week, a day or so later I realized I hadn't seen my original Escondido come up to feed. I turned up his cave and sure enough it was dead. It was small, maybe two inches. I removed it, but hesitated a day or so to do another water change. I replaced the Escondido with a new one from the store after a small water change, soon after the water went to hell. Thanks for the feedback too guys, it's much appreciated.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
what are you running for filtration?

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I'm along the lines of everyone else in here: What caused this?

That needs to be addressed first.

Couple things we'd need to know:

- What's your water change schedule like?
- Stock seem's low, but how many fish in the tank?
- What's your filtration like?
- How long has the tank been running?

Couple causes I've seen in the past:

- Clogged filters causing poor waterflow over the medium.
- Medication killing the bacteria bed in the tank (Have you medicated recently?)
- Excessive cleaning of the filter media if you have canisters or other power filters.
- Power outage. Power outages can cause wet/dry media to have die offs in the bio balls

pelleeklund

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Big Jay
1. Once a week about 40% changed
2. Two fish, both small
3. 2 aquaclear 75's or 300's, whatever those are called now
4. Tanks been up for at least 10 years

Other than the Melafix that I added after the problem, I haven't added any other medication. I'm thinking the exceptionally large water change I did prior to the problem may have threw the balance off. I cleaned the gravel way more thoroughly than normal and definitely took a lot more water than usual. I'm thinking I took a lot of the beneficial bacteria out of the gravel. That's my best guess at least. I'm going to add the quick start stuff and see if I can fix it tonight. Thanks again.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I have never known a large water change to cause this unless not dosing with prime properly, I do fin levels on all tanks every week, even the tanks with fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store