Help regarding Fluval Clearmax and a Fishless Cycle.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
So here I am on Day 8 of my Fishless cycle and I have seen the Ammonia drop from 6ppm to about 2 ppm in just over a week. I found a box of the Fluval Clearmax i purchased along with the two FX 6s and got to reading and Jaw dropped when i got to the part about how it removes nitrites and nitrates from the water.

So for someone who has been waiting for nitrites and nitrates you could imagine how disappointed I was. I removed the Clear max from both filters and now will be waiting to see if nitrites become present this week.

I should probably read a bit more about the products I purchase so next time I won't waste money and time on trying to cycle the tank. Lesson learned I guess.

Does the stuff even work that well anyway ???

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I bet if you threw some cheap feeder fish and some SeaChem Stability in that tank you wouldn't have to worry about cycling it for a month haha.

If that Fluval stuff is anything like SeaChem Purigen, then it probably works to some extent removing the nitrites and nitrates from the water yes.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
I used an entire bottle of Stability , however i dosed the tank with all that ammonia , I figured it was just food for the bacteria , but I didnt see it making any difference in the 1 week i used it.

and i could use feeder fish yes , but my LFS is garbage and full of problems with the live stock.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I used an entire bottle of Stability , however i dosed the tank with all that ammonia , I figured it was just food for the bacteria , but I didnt see it making any difference in the 1 week i used it.

and i could use feeder fish yes , but my LFS is garbage and full of problems with the live stock.

hmmm strange with the stability...never had a tank cycle longer than a week with it...

eww ya i know that pain...the closest LFS to me has at any given time big white X's on like 10 of their tanks...indicating what I would guess is generally diseased tanks lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store