filtration system

arowjdm0103

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Datnoidsland
Has anyone use a filtration system that use bulkhead in the bottom panel of the tank before? I only use a overflow system not the the bottom drain, how does those work? If the pump stop working and will it drain the tank completely since the drain are on the bottom.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
You could run a piece of PVC pipe from it to about 2" below the top of tank that would set your water level if using a wet/dry setup

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
not sure what you are asking, my 180 is duel bottom drilled, reversed UG with 2 pumps. unless a hose break not going to be any leaking. can easily be hooked up to canisters , both bulls have ball joint valves so can work on things with out worrying about the tank.

arowjdm0103

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2013
Datnoidsland
I'm having trouble loading a YouTube video on here. Something similar to that, what happen when a pump shut off? Will the water in the tank still drain to the sump or whatever filtration you put under the tank.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The bulkheads and pipe w/strainer can/could have been used for drain - but that would make sense to have so low. If it were for return that also seems not right, but I suppose could be done. They would probably would have had to have a check valve to not drain all the tank water to the sump when the pump turned off.

It more likely was used as a closed loop circulation - many marine tanks have them, and some freshwater as well.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I meant to say would not make sense as a drain as it would be too low. Edit is not working for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store