Who uses purigen?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I used to use it. month ago, this thread came up, and they talked me into using it again. So I bought 4 of the purigen bags, loaded them up with purigen, and put one in each of my filter socks. it got super brown really fast, because it sits in a filter sock with all the gunk from the tank. my water is still a touch cloudy. but it's a 540 gallon tank, sand is still kinda new, maybe i'm a little on the low side on pump output (2 max-flo 2400's), i don't know. i think purigen is great for some things (like tannins from new driftwood), ineffective for other things. so it depends on what's in your water as to how big a fan you are of purigen. i'm lukewarm to the stuff?

It is definitely cleanable. drop it in bleach, it turns off-white again, that's cool.

Reactions: Featherfin Beast

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Purigen work great for tannish water (tannish effect that leak out from driftwood), its work best if you have HOB or canister filter and put it in chemical chamber section, it does get brown really fast but it can rechange/clean with bleach. It's required certain flow rate to get it work, if flow too fast like FX5 or FX6 then it won't work.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I put 6 liters in a canister to try and help me with nitrates. It gets brown but I can tell no difference. I do 50% daily or every other day water changes to try and keep below 40 PPM. My water looks clean, but that is because I use 100 micron filter socks on the sump.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I see no point, if there was really a silver bullet for nitrate creep you think we not already know this? there is a way to remove nitrates but the maintenance is worse than doing a water change.

sorry if coming off as and ass.

apastuszak

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2010
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphack.com
I bought some and threw it in my Fluval 305. The next day my water looked crystal clear. It's like activated carbon on steroids. My bag of Purigen is yellow right now. Not sure if I should wait for it to go brown or regenerate it now.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I put it in a couple of internal filters and drop them into my overflows. Everyone comments on my Crystal clear water

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I put 6 liters in a canister to try and help me with nitrates. It gets brown but I can tell no difference. I do 50% daily or every other day water changes to try and keep below 40 PPM. My water looks clean, but that is because I use 100 micron filter socks on the sump.
Well, Purigen will not going to remove nitrate though, it's help with water clarify.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Seachem claims it removes ALL types of organics. Nitrate is an organic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store