How much more filtration will I need?

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Hey guys
Once all of my nano fish are sold, I'll be getting a huge tank for my ray. I was wondering how much filtration I'll need.
The tank will be 240-300 gallons, will have 2-3 marble motoros and some smaller dithers (probably a school of silver dollars and a sevrum or two). I'm currently cycling a rena xp3, a rena xp4, and a few large powerheads for airation and current. I know that wont be enough to support my stock. I'm planning on doing 1-2 50-75% water changes a week. How many/what kind of filters should I add? The thought of a sump terrifies me and I want to stick to large canisters.
Thanks!

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I used to run big sumps but have now migrated to larger canisters. Will not get into the filtration on my 750 as it is a custom jobby. My 200 I bought a large koi pond canister filter with built in 12 watt UV. Canister is I would say 10 gallons in size, about 10" taller than a 5 gallon bucket. I gutted all the bio balls it came with and went with a finer bio media like K1. Had to modify the inside so it would not push the K1 into the tank. I am not using the K1 in this filter like a reactor but more like bio balls are used just get way more surface area. Then with a filter like this you can add a big pump and you are set. I am running a mag 18 on mine but one day will add a second one as the rays get bigger to increase turnover. I ran this same tank with both a 80 gallon sump for a couple years then went to two Sun Sun 4 chamber canisters then ended up with this operation. The key things are turnover rate and bio media surface area. The more bio media you can get the better. In order to get more media you need bigger filter sizes. Pretty simple

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store