green arowana temperate?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Hi all, i noticed that greens come from Myanmar amongst other places, its occured to me that my channa ornatipinnis is a temperate species which i keep at room temp 15-23 deg, are some species of asian aro temperate? i understand there are 4 distinct species of asian all with different latin names and all from different areas, i have an asian 'silver yellow tail' and am curious as most people just describe asians as if they are one species which they arnt, most of my research says 'asian aros' (a broad term respectively) should be kept at high temps around 28 deg? confused?

i would like to add that my channa seems less happy and less colourful at lower temps too, guessing because the lfs had him at tropical temps, i add him to a tank at tropical then graduallly dropped it off, maybe he should be tropical and the data on him is wrong?

Crossback James

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Non of the Asian Arowana are temperate and all would prefer temperatures between 29-31. I've been to Myanmar and would describe it as sub-tropical rather than temperate. Only in the mountainous far north could it perhaps be described as otherwise. Ideally I think you're Ornate would prefer 18-25 and the Green around 30. If they live together then Im sure a compromise would suit both.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store