electric eel monitor

Aaroncboo1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lockport IL
Hello all, I'm looking to put some sort of electric monitor whether it be lights or a speaker on the tank of my electric eel just for fun. If anyone has done this can you explain how. Any help would be awesome. Thank you

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Hard to know exactly what measurements you'd get.

I would get a voltmeter like this one:

$(KGrHqN,!qsFJgVksmNQBScOKrQG6!~~60_12.JPG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-150V-Ana...591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a335ba967

With these "direct power" ones, they just have 2 connections on the back. I would put some sort of (stainless steel!) electrode at 2 ends of the tank, and when the eel discharges, see what kind of readings you get.

I know that the eels put out several hundred volts, but I suspect when you measure the voltage between 2 ends of the tank it will be quite a bit less.

Just having the volt meter would be kind of cool, but if you can narrow it down to that it typically measures 50 volts or whatever when the eel discharges, then you can build something more advanced.

$(KGrHqN,!qsFJgVksmNQBScOKrQG6!~~60_12.JPG

Aaroncboo1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2012
Lockport IL
Ok cool I'll look into it. To know voltage would be cool but im not much good with electronics. I knew some people on here put speakers on there tanks so it made noise whenever it shocked. Even the shedd aquarium here in Chicago has lights to indicate voltage output for a visual reference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store