your opinion on a community tank

tankbusterlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2006
Quebec,CAnada
Hi,

What do you think of this stocking list for a community aquarium ?

Gold barb
Giant danio
Platies
Guppies

I have 10 gold barbs right now. I had them for 2 years now. Some are rather big a good 3" or more. I have 3 giant danios and i added 4 mixed colors platies this week.

At first i thought the platies would be terrified because of the "big" fish. They were at first but now swim together at the top or with the other fish. They go crazy at feeding time.

I like them because they add a lot of colors to a tank. Giant danio are amazing fish and my gold barb i grew attached to them. Maybe i should get right of the danio and instead of doing two schools just add to my school of gold barb. What do you thin ?

Also Irridescent shark are the fish who got me into this hobby. I had 4 in a 75 gallon before of course it lasted a year and then they died from lack of space. Could they live forever in a 500 gallon tank ?

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Sounds like a perfectly compatible stock list. Whether to remove the danios or not is your call; one big school of gold barbs could be cool, but if you like the danios, why not keep them?

As for the question about Irridescent sharks, I would say no. ID sharks can reach over 4 feet long (http://www.fishbase.org/summary/14154), and they are far from sedentary, so you would eventually need something more along the lines of a 5,000-10,000 gallon pond/pool to keep them for life. A lot of people who keep cats like these use indoor above-ground pools to house them long term, so it is doable if you want to go that route.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store