Super high nitrate problem.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I tested my water on my 150 today and the nitrates were at 80 ppm. I immediately did a 10% water change and will do three more today. I can do big changes because the water faucet next to my tank is freezing. What could cause this spike? I also had no ammonia and about .50 ppm nitrite. I'm worried now. Filtering the tank are two emperor 400s and a Rena filstar canister.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Could be a lot of things. Something decaying in the filter/substrate/hidden corner of tank, inadequate water changes, or even a faulty test kit. That being said, 80ppm isn't ideal, but it's not enough to pose an immediate danger, though you really shouldn't have 0.5ppm nitrite in a cycled tank, either. It would be helpful to know how long the tank has been set up, how you cycled it, what fish you're keeping in it, and your typical water change schedule.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Could be a lot of things. Something decaying in the filter/substrate/hidden corner of tank, inadequate water changes, or even a faulty test kit. That being said, 80ppm isn't ideal, but it's not enough to pose an immediate danger, though you really shouldn't have 0.5ppm nitrite in a cycled tank, either. It would be helpful to know how long the tank has been set up, how you cycled it, and what fish you're keeping in it.
It's been set up for about two months. I've always had perfect parameters except occasional small amounts of nitrate. I just recently took off on of my canisters to use it on a different tank so that's what I'm thinking did it. I also just introduced a new Delhezi bichir.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
It's been set up for about two months. I've always had perfect parameters except occasional small amounts of nitrate. I just recently took off on of my canisters to use it on a different tank so that's what I'm thinking did it. I also just introduced a new Delhezi bichir.

How often are you typically doing water changes?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I'm relatively happy even getting my nitrates to 80! I do 50% water changes at least every other day and did 11 in one week just to get mine down to 40PPM for a day.

Your tank isn't done cycling. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will be fine.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I'm relatively happy even getting my nitrates to 80! I do 50% water changes at least every other day and did 11 in one week just to get mine down to 40PPM for a day.

Your tank isn't done cycling. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will be fine.
11 in one week!? That's crazy. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with it lol

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
11 in one week!? That's crazy. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with it lol

It happens... I have a 80 gallon a drip day on my tank and still run like 60 nitrates..lol. You are probably going through a mini cycle from removing the canister..

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
10-15% daily. I would do a bigger one maybe twice a week but as I said the water is freezing in my basement.

That's actually a lot more than most people change. lol Sounds good to me. I'd say the nitrite issue probably is from removing the canister, but I wouldn't think that would contribute to an increase in nitrates. Unless you're just a bit overstocked (or overfeeding, perhaps), there has to be some decaying matter somewhere that just needs to be removed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store