introducing arowana to a pond/aquarium

Randolph71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2015
Phillippines
Hi, I'm new here and new at keeping arowana but I'm planning on building a planted pond/aquarium of approximately 1400-1500 gallons 4.5m L x 1.2m W x 1m depth. I plan to intruduce maybe 5 juveniles (6-8in). There will be schooling smaller fishes such as tetras, danios, and barbs, some algae eaters such as SAE's and shrimp, and discus. I've read the following opinions and/or info on the web:

If you keep 5 aros or more together, they will spread their aggression,
If you grow the aros together, from juvenile, it's likely they won't fight as much
Growing aros with other species let's them get used to other fishes.
Putting a lot of hiding places will protect the smaller fishes (do plants count?)
Aros won't chase or eat fishes that are too small
Aros will avoid or won't eat schooling fishes
It's better to get bottom dwellers
Put the arowanas in the pond last so they won't feel it's their territory
Keeping them full on pellets will prevent them from going after smaller fish (no feeder fish)

Is there anyone who can verify or debunk this info? Thanks

pisalious

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Dubai
The 5th and 6th points are not true imo...Aros will chase fish that are too small but not catch them at first...Aros can eat schooling fish also..Most of the other points in my opinion are true

pisalious

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Dubai
Its not a must that they will chase ur schooling fish and i am going to try dension barbs with my aro...But i have one aro it looks like you plan on having 5 which is much riskier than one for the schooling/small fish

Randolph71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2015
Phillippines
Ok. Thanks for the reply. I've just seen alot of videos on youtube with arowanas with much smaller fish such as danios and tetras. The comments were that they were too fast for the aro or that there was safety in numbers. Does the sex of the aro make a difference?

pisalious

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Dubai
No not really..Try your luck nothing wrong there is a good possibility it may work..I'm building a custom made 500 gallon aquarium where i will put an asian aro with 30 denison barbs and try my luck so i hope it works out for both of us just make sure you don't feed the aros feeder fish to increase your chance

Randolph71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2015
Phillippines
Thanks for your advice. I'll probably scale back the number of of arowana to 1, just in case. I look forward to hearing about your 500 gallon aquarium. Will it be planted? what will be its depth? Are you going to put other species in it?

pisalious

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Dubai
Thanks for your advice. I'll probably scale back the number of of arowana to 1, just in case. I look forward to hearing about your 500 gallon aquarium. Will it be planted? what will be its depth? Are you going to put other species in it?
It is 10' by 3' by 3' ...It will contain 10 severums , 1 flag tail charcin and 30 denison barbs as well as a super red arowona

pisalious

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Dubai
It is 10' by 3' by 3'( 3m by 90 by 90) ...It will contain 10 severums , 1 flag tail charcin and 30 denison barbs as well as a super red arowona

Randolph71

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2015
Phillippines
Is there a way to limit the size of an arowana? I ask this because 1. I don't want the arowana to outgrow the pondarium, 2. To let other arowanas catch up when I get them, 3. Maybe limit aggression? 4. Economic reasons: I don't want to spend too much on feeds.

pisalious

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
Dubai
You can feed them less....Try to get them on pellets (They will be stubborn at first but fight it don't give in )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store