Api filstar xp xl or Hydor 600 canister filters

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
I really wanted an fx6 or the 2262 but with the shipping and extra media it gets expensive.

What do you guys think about going with the cheaper api filstar xp xl or the Hydor 600, anyone care to share their experiences with either of these two less expensive canisters. thanks

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What size tank are you looking to filter and what is your stock (size & quantity)?

A lot of vendors offer free shipping such as Kensfish.com

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
I've been running rena's for a few years, never had any issues and they have decent performance.

Connectors are annoying to detach for when you have to clean out the hoses. I don't know if them being clear increases the crud buildup (its more likely I grossly overfeed).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
I've been running rena's for a few years, never had any issues and they have decent performance.

Connectors are annoying to detach for when you have to clean out the hoses. I don't know if them being clear increases the crud buildup (its more likely I grossly overfeed).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Okay good to know....thx

Reactions: Chadster72

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I have used the Filstars for years and really like them. I run fluidized bed towers off of two XP4, and I have 2 XP3 I always have cycled for emergency tank setups or whatever. They are simple and effective. They don't replace my FX5 or 2262 for flow, but 2 XP4 hold a good deal of media and you can find them fairly cheap. Not a bad purchase regardless of reason in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
If you don't mind shelling out the money, Then go with the FX. I think the 2262 is overkill for your setup and replacement parts for these things are super expensive, so keep that in mind as well.

I personally recommend a multi filter setup, so should one fail there's a backup until the other filter is fixed. So instead of one big filter, setup with 2 smaller filters.

While the Hydor and API will work fine why pay a premium for mediocre filters, just spend a little more and get the FX or an Eheim. If you want to save major dough then look into Odyssea CFS700 and/or Sunsun(Aquatop is the more expensive US packaging). I have these filters and I can attest they work great, and the best part is they are super cheap. For your tank, I recommend an Oddysea CFS700 and a Sunsun 304b. The Odyssea is an FX ripoff and will be great as a mechanical filter while the Sunsun has multiple baskets to hold a ton of biomedia.

Like I said any of the filters you mention will work, you just need to decide what's best for you. GL

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
Thanks to both Aquafreak and xraycer for the great replys.....
I guess I will continue to do more research on canisters, i will check out the Oddysea CFS700 and the Sunsun 304b.
Im really in no big hurry, but do need to upgrade.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I've got some sunsun 302's which I like alot

I also have a fluval 406 which despite buying some parts over the last couple years, has proven to be a really good filter. I think it's a little overpriced, but it's rated at 380 something gph. They can be had for under $200... obviously the little brother to the fx6, but based on some articles/threads I've read, it really doesn't hold that much less bio media than an fx, and the longer "dwell time" of water in the canister due to slower flow is good for bio filtration.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Thanks to both Aquafreak and xraycer for the great replys.....
I guess I will continue to do more research on canisters, i will check out the Oddysea CFS700 and the Sunsun 304b.
Im really in no big hurry, but do need to upgrade.
I did forget to mention the Sunsun and Odyssea filter. I definitely agree they are worth the money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store