Fishkeeping hobbyist stereotypes you encounter when people learn of your hobby?

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
I think Im going to be keeping mum on my aquariums, I swear people tend to immediately think weirdo, geek, loner, possible toy train collector. Women, oh for women its instant friendzone when they find out you keep tanks. On first dates it usually causes a quick lookaway with poorly hidden eyeroll followed by straw stirring, drifting off into space and uncomfortable silence.

Do you tell people you meet you keep fish? What about on dates, or when you spontaneously meet someone?

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Nope... Or if I do I'll just say something like "oh I have a tank too" if they mention something about their gallon guppy bowl...

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I say nothing, it immediately puts women off. Not saying that applies to all women, but maybe 95%

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Must be the can't-put-their-phone-down crowd. I find real women love men who actually do things and have hobbies.
The problem is that most women go for skinny woman like "men" with their one direction hairdo's and high voices.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

emu1sive

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2015
Austin, TX
As a woman, when I got into keeping tanks my boyfriend was very receptive of it being a good hobby that a) doesn't consume my life like video games. b) keeps me relaxed and c) he gets to look at a pretty tank and not having to do any work.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Be proud of your hobby!!! You aren't keeping fish to impress are you? Of course not! So too the eyes being rolled, accepting a person and their intrests is part of natural selection!! ;)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ChrisP75

Exodon
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Sacramento
I think at first my gf thought I had a small tank with some cute little fish, then she saw them and I think quickly became interested in the hobby, she just bought an above ground pool so we can possibly turn our garage into an above ground pond.
Other people give me a look like I'm nuts when I tell them I have a fish as big as a plate.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store