Winter storm in Tennessee

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Boy, sure hope my power stays on this week. We're going to have snow, ice, and freezing rain every day this week. I sure do have alot of expensive fish that don't like cold water temperatures. I'm hoping for the best! This part of the USA doesn't have any winter storms like this usually.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Send some to SoCal!! A tick under 90 yesterday, I HATE it!! :/

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I am in NJ and we have a few nasty storms each winter.I lost power in 2012 for 8 days,along with most of my fish.maybe you can get battery backup units,and make other preparations just in case

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gulperfan220

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2008
mancheter, nh
best bet is a generator, i lost two 7 inch gulper fish to an October northeaster several years back and I am still kicking myself for not owning a generator. this past Thanksgiving I lost two feather fin catfish at 7 to 8 inch size raise from one inch this time i bought a 5000 watt generator and planning not to loose any fish.

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
It's supposed to be light snow, they said no risk of heavy wet snow weighing down power lines or branches. It's just a lot of light fluffy snow and with the temperatures so low the roads will be horrible since the salt won't have much effect. Our fish should be fine though unless they plan on driving anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
After a 4 day winter outage a few years back, I started covering the bottom and 3 sides of any tanks with 2" styrofoam that hold warm water fish. And to be proactive, I have a panel cut for the front and top at the ready. An inexpensive way to help tanks hold temp.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Today I learned a valuable lesson in how important it is to be prepared. I'm in the middle of a fishless cycle. Power was out for about 8 hours. I had no Battery powered air stones , generators or anything to keep the heat in my tank.

I spent the 8 hours manually creating an oxygen exchange in my tank by emptying water through the drain valves on my fx 6 and re adding the water to my aquarium, everything turned out to be fine.

I could have lost a lot more then 1 weeks worth of beneficial bacteria if those tanks had been stocked. Lesson is to never take being prepaed lightly. It should be Priority #1. ensuring you are prepared for a power outage.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store