Hystrix hump

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I have recently brought a CB Hystrix pup from a reputable breeder, she was very small when I got her, barely three inch disc. Very healthy and feeds greedily on pellets and various other food.
The first time I saw her in the flesh was when I collected her and I admit I didn't really notice the prominent hump between her eyes until she was in my tank. She seems totally healthy and happy.
Just wondering if anyone can shed much light on this? I guess time will tell if it grows in size and/or remains. Her brother apparently has the.same but not so pronounced.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1424028719.599067.jpg

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Hi Mike,

Its completely normal for such small Hysrix pups. The reason James's male has a bulge that is less so is because his was always the bigger fish of the two, its just a bit more advanced. As they grow the bump will lessen and finally blend in....promise!
Keep up the good feeding regime.
Here are a few premature pups I unfortunately lost soon after birth, they had huge yolk sacs.....checkout the bumps!S1057597.JPGS1057630.JPG

All the best.

S1057597.JPG

S1057630.JPG

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Hi Mike,

Its completely normal for such small Hysrix pups. The reason James's male has a bulge that is less so is because his was always the bigger fish of the two, its just a bit more advanced. As they grow the bump will lessen and finally blend in....promise!
Keep up the good feeding regime.
Here are a few premature pups I unfortunately lost soon after birth, they had huge yolk sacs.....checkout the bumps!View attachment 1059302View attachment 1059304

All the best.
Well that's it, open and shut case! Couldn't ask for more, many thanks Richard.
Her small size doesn't bother me, admittedly I did moan upon collection but she's fine and feeding like a champ.
The hump query really was just that, a query, I kinda hoped that it might stay and I have some rare as rocking horse "@*t ray lol!

Thanks again Richard.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Her small size doesn't bother me, admittedly I did moan upon collection but she's fine and feeding like a champ.
The hump query really was just that, a query, I kinda hoped that it might stay and I have some rare as rocking horse "@*t ray lol!

Thanks again Richard.

Thanks again Richard.

No problem Mike.

Real shame about the ones in the pics, they were from a different breeding altogether, beautiful markings, the female had 3 healthy full term litters after that. The ray that had your pup was a first time mom, she is gravid again along with the one I posted on here a little while ago, hoping for more this time.

Cheers!

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
if the rays are small i think its more obvious but it seems to be a thing with hystrix.

i remember the ones i had having similar humps between the eyes when they were small. it doesnt really go away but as the body grows it becomes less of a hump and more a part of the head.

the ray looks funny in the pic but not in a bad way, i really like it hystrix have a lovely profile.
the black on the ray is *very* black if you get what i mean. i think it will look very nice when older.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
What they said above about the hump. Mine have it too. It goes away with age.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store