Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
So I'm trying to design a new filtration set up here is what I need to do

Top tank 314 gallon(85"x36"x24")

Bottom tank 100 gallon(72"x18"x18"
Stand can only be 28" tall in order to get thru a 30" doorway
I need to filter both tanks on same filter.
I was thinking
A: put return pump into 100g pumping water up to top tank then the top tank draining thru a bio tower and dumping back into the 100
B: putting a small chamber into 100g where the top tank flows thru a filter sock that is placed in that chamber, then also the return pump in the 100g as well. Then pumping back up into an overhead sump that is filled with Seachem Matrix that dumps back into the top tank.

I'm looking for thoughts or other plans that I may have not thought of. I'm trying to keep it contained to one area so I really don't want to have a big sump sitting next to the tanks
Thanks

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Is the bottom tank a fish tank or a sump? For a 300+ tank you should be using the 100 for your filter.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I'm trying to use it as a tank as well I have no problem adding a baffle if I have to as long as I can keep a good area for fish as well. I know I can not fill it all the way up but it still needs to house a bunch of small fish. Right know I'm leaning toward 2 36" tall 8" round bio towers filled with bioballs that will dump into the 100g

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I thought I was going to use my 150 as both sump and grow out but it fills up fast! I use it as a refugium and have corner"estuaries", one with an African clawed frog and the other has khuli loaches and a rescue betta. Shrimp and snails throughout and tons of fern and moss. I will be adding scuds and such this summer. There was a thread a while back of a guy that did what you are wanting to do however and it turned out pretty cool

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
So I'm trying to design a new filtration set up here is what I need to do

Top tank 314 gallon(85"x36"x24")

Bottom tank 100 gallon(72"x18"x18"
Stand can only be 28" tall in order to get thru a 30" doorway
I need to filter both tanks on same filter.
I was thinking
A: put return pump into 100g pumping water up to top tank then the top tank draining thru a bio tower and dumping back into the 100
B: putting a small chamber into 100g where the top tank flows thru a filter sock that is placed in that chamber, then also the return pump in the 100g as well. Then pumping back up into an overhead sump that is filled with Seachem Matrix that dumps back into the top tank.

I'm looking for thoughts or other plans that I may have not thought of. I'm trying to keep it contained to one area so I really don't want to have a big sump sitting next to the tanks
Thanks
Your doors are only 30"? Mine are 36". I thought that was the standard.

I'm interested to see how the tower works out for you, I'm mulling over sump ideas, and have been considering adding a tower to the build.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store