Set up a drip system and get your water for FREE

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
I recently set up a drip system(click the link for details) and I tried to use my water meter to measure the flow but the leak indicator wasn't even moving. I had to turn on one of the faucets also to get it moving so I looked up the specs on my water meter and to my surprise it can not pick up flow below 3/4 a gallon a minute! You do the math, thats a ridiculous amount of water I can continuously drip into my setup w/o my water meter picking up a drop of it. Even at the flow pictured below over an extended period of time it registers none of it. Serendipity!

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...at-s-in-your-stand!-mechanical-photo-s/page29

IMG_20150207_021042540.jpg

IMG_20150215_195136724_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150207_021042540.jpg

IMG_20150215_195136724_HDR.jpg

Reactions: jordanlewis100

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently set up a drip system(click the link for details) and I tried to use my water meter to measure the flow but the leak indicator wasn't even moving. I had to turn on one of the faucets also to get it moving so I looked up the specs on my water meter and to my surprise it can not pick up flow below 3/4 a gallon a minute! You do the math, thats a ridiculous amount of water I can continuously drip into my setup w/o my water meter picking up a drop of it. Even at the flow pictured below over an extended period of time it registers none of it. Serendipity!

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...at-s-in-your-stand!-mechanical-photo-s/page29

View attachment 1059344

View attachment 1059345
Wow, nice!:)

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
thanks for the info this is awesome. I am trying to find your drip setup. Which post number is it? thanks

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You mean the meter providing service to your house? I need to see if I can figure out what meter my city provides. That is crazy cool.

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
Yea the water meter directly off the main line that supplies all water to my house. Just find your meter and you can test it yourself. I still cant believe it but Ive tested it over and over.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I guess you will know for sure when the water bill comes. We have new radio read meters, so I don't know if a transmitted reading would vary from a visual one. My meter is buried in snow right now so I'm not willing to check what it is. Doing some googling I found a study on water meters what indicated that the standard was something like 50 GPD for a minimum reading. That would certainly fall within your 3/4 GPM or 45 GPH as detectable. For me that would be $7 for the water and $21 for the sewer fee. You referred to a leak detector. What is that?

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
I am billed off what my water meter indicates. Like most sewer fees mine isnt measured it is calculated from an average of the water that is used. A leak indicator is usually a triangle in the center of the meter that spins whenever the magnet that measures the flow spins. Its suppose to help you determine if you have a leak or not. If you turn off all your water and it is moving that means there is a leak in your system somewhere.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Interesting. I will look after the thaw. Any idea how old your meter is? Better yet, what is the meter that you researched. Maybe I can learn even more.

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
My house was built in 06 and my meter looks even newer. Mine is a 1" master meter multijet. Theres plenty of info on their website.

mastermeter.jpg

mastermeter.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store