planning for a pair of motoro

canadianforever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ontario
i know it says iam new i had another account i dont remember any of the info on it and i no longer have that email so i made a new acc

I have a 90 gal aquarium and a 6'x3'x2' plywood box with a pond liner to hold water empty right now and my lfs has 2 motoro rays one male and one female about a 7" disk each. I was thinking about getting them i have done a lot of research in the past and i feel like i could take proper care of these guys i have read on a lot of places that the plywood tank i have is big enough for 2 adult motoro but id like to hear from peoples personal experience before i go ahead and use that tank (its already cycled it has our pond fish in it that will soon be piranha food) if the tank is too small i can extend it some.

the 90 gal i was thinking i would use as a quarantine for the rays as all sides are glass so it would be easier to monitor them for the first few weeks

thanks in advance really hoping that tank is large enough

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
great job putting a thread out there requesting others personal experience. Rays are another ballgame so doing your homework is really important. id say 6x3 foot print is suitable for a pair of motoros although you will more than likely want to upgrade this sometime down the road especially if you want to keep other ray friendly monsters within the same tank. my first ray tank was 300 gal 6x3 foot print and it only lasted me a couple years. i felt bad that they were so crowded even after rehoming some of my other tank mates so i built a much larger tank. my main emphasis though would be on proper filtration, diet, overall water quality. you really need to understand water chemistry as rays consume tons of $food$ and create tons of waste. id use the 90 gal as a sump filter really...hope this helps some. good luck.

i know it says iam new i had another account i dont remember any of the info on it and i no longer have that email so i made a new acc

I have a 90 gal aquarium and a 6'x3'x2' plywood box with a pond liner to hold water empty right now and my lfs has 2 motoro rays one male and one female about a 7" disk each. I was thinking about getting them i have done a lot of research in the past and i feel like i could take proper care of these guys i have read on a lot of places that the plywood tank i have is big enough for 2 adult motoro but id like to hear from peoples personal experience before i go ahead and use that tank (its already cycled it has our pond fish in it that will soon be piranha food) if the tank is too small i can extend it some.

the 90 gal i was thinking i would use as a quarantine for the rays as all sides are glass so it would be easier to monitor them for the first few weeks

thanks in advance really hoping that tank is large enough

canadianforever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ontario
thanks i have kept many fish species in the past but ended selling most of my tanks as i became more interested in reptiles i still have a 13" black piranha and ive always loved rays iam thinking of getting a smaller pair around a 7-10" disk and quarantining them in the 90 gal for the first month or so as the 90 gal has 3 clear sides as viewing panels then moving them to the larger pond like tank i currently just use a pool filter with the pond fish and iam thinking of ways to build a sump on to it as its just a plywood box with a pond liner in it my girlfriend wants to keep an arowana with the rays but i see it as more of a bio load added to the water and a possibility of finding the arro on the ground out side the tank if i were to use the 90 gal as a sump how would you recommend i pipe the water into it and out the pond like tank is 3" off the ground and the water level sits at 24" or so

canadianforever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ontario
also about my gf wanting to keep an arrow with the rays id think 6x3 is too small for one (the idea is in my head to upgrade it before i get the rays to a 8x3 or maybe 8x4

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store