Some kind of fungus?

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
I posted on a thread about a Sleeper Goby but the thread didn't revive.

Unfortunately, whatever has got into my water is the devil.

Stock before Wed.: Electric Blue Ram, Spotted African Leaf Fish, 3 glo tetras, 2 Buenos Aires Tetras, 1 Red Rasbora Tetra. All were fine.

On Thursday, I noticed some fin fraying and one of my Buenos Aires tetra had a white spot. I thought it was ick so I added Quick Cure.
Friday, nothing improved visually except fish were swimming happier. I added melafix thinking this would fix it.
Unfortunately, 2 hours later, the Leaf fish grew a spot and had a sore on his right eye that was growing. I did a water change and the sore went away on the leaf fish and the Buenos Aires Tetra. I added Stresscoat.
Saturday, the white spots were all over the Buenos aires tetra. The leaf fish had white spots that looked like they deteriorated or died? The Glo tetras and the Red Rasbora had spots starting. I added Quickcure thinking it had to be Ick, now.
By Saturday night, the buenos aires tetras were looking like they were about to die.
Sunday morning, the glo tetras didn't look great. The leaf fish and ram looked fine. I tried a half dose of melafix.
Sunday evening, one glo tetra did not look good. Had a huge spot that looked like a mild burn and it was growing. I did some calling around and looking on the internet. Tetramycin was recommended and I'm going to get some today now that Petsmart is open again.
I saw that a salt bath was supposed to help weaken the infection. Unfortunately, the 5 second salt bath caused the tetras to shed bad and die. The ram shed bad and died overnight. The leaf fish didn't get the bath because it seemed fine. He unfortunately has a huge white spot and his eye is messed up on the left side now.

I don't know that the tetramycin will help. Is it a fungus? Weird strain of ick? Internet suggested mini crabs but it doesn't look like crabs to me. I added stress coat for now.... Wish I knew what was going on Wed. Never had a fungus like this before. Only dealt with ick and bladders before.20150216_090209.jpg

20150216_090209.jpg

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Terramycin is trade name for oxitetracyclene. Not my first choice, use erythromycin for the eye. I think you have more than one issue here. Treat the whole tank but watch your parameters. Give the fish a 30 minute in 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per 5 gallons of water and one teaspoon of methylene blue per 5 gallons of water. Yes a bucket of tank water for the bath. In the mean time do a 50% WC inte main tank before treating with the erythromycin.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Been wild with a baby being born.

Ok... I didn't get a response till after I got this stuff and applied it so bear with me if I don't try it right away although I thank you!

I got this stuff from Petsmart called Fungus Cure since they didn't actually have a rack or an associate who knew where to find Tetramycin... lol. Corporate. It had pictures if everything I was seeing so I went for the gusto. Dumped 3 packages in (prescribed 1 per 10 gallons) and watched it under the LED like a smokebomb on Batman. It said to dose again after 48 hrs and then do a 25% water change so that's the plan I'm on. The ingredients listed are Victoria Green B and Acriflavine. I dose again this afternoon to stay on track.

The fish is looking much better. I fed him to see if he is hungry but my end up siphoning it. We'll see.

Thank you again for the reply. We'll see how things go.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
That looks similar to what my pickerel had. If thats the case then you are on the right track using malachite green (the "victoria green" in your meds). Also what Tom suggested worked for me, meth. blue and salt took care of it for the pickerel.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Congratulations on the new baby!

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Thank you! The fungus cure did ok, I guess. There is much less white fungus but there are still 3 spots on him. At least, these spots are edges of fins. Bout to give yours a shot, @Aquanero

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Update: Gotta track down Methylene Blue. Found some in Sulphur. Going to get it today. In the meantime, I picked up some more Stresscoat, Fungus Cure for a second round if need be, and tetracyclene or whatever it is in case it's the magic touch when I try again.

Also, my RO filter wasn't really putting out. I'm not sure why this except that there was some built up pressure in one of my lines and the bladder tank is old. I swapped the 2 gal for a 36 gallon was able to go beyond the typical pint I've been getting and have a whopping 10 gallons at continuous full charge come out. Nice change! I think I'll step up my game on water changes to 25% a day if it's going to be this easy. 36 gallon tank and parts to pump from a remote location cost a little over $300. The advice at lowes was priceless. The plumber associate helped me for quite a bit to make sure the tank would work, we got all the right parts for stepping down from the 1" to the 1/4", and even the correct parts for water safe drinking as well as fish. No bare copper. Just brass and iron used before a post filter. Perfect substitute for the 2 gal bladder tank that came with the whirlpool kit. I kept the old 2 gallon so I could idealize a drip system if it becomes appropriate. I'm just not sure if I want to get a second RO filter system or re-plumb this one to do the job if it can. Flow rate would be the deal breaker.

Please keep the advice coming. With any luck, the Methylene Blue will do the trick.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Any ideas on how long to leave the Methlyene Blue in? Didn't say on the bottle... :( Just said to add for general use and remove carbon. (Done). I didn't do the bath. That said to only dip fish for 10 seconds.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
The correct bath is one tea spoon per 5 gallons of tank water for 20-30 mins. Do not use in the main tank it will destroy your BB. If you are going to use in the main tank remove filter media to an aerated bucket of tank water.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Terramycin is trade name for oxitetracyclene. Not my first choice, use erythromycin for the eye. I think you have more than one issue here. Treat the whole tank but watch your parameters. Give the fish a 30 minute in 1 teaspoon Epsom salt per 5 gallons of water and one teaspoon of methylene blue per 5 gallons of water. Yes a bucket of tank water for the bath. In the mean time do a 50% WC inte main tank before treating with the erythromycin.
Ok... I see. Add in both the salt and methylene in the same bath at the same time for the same amount of time. Well... I'm all turned around now. I'm still within manufacturer guidelines as far as I can tell. Maybe the blue goes away eventually?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store