Nitrate reduction from a cannister filter

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I found this on another forum from several years ago. It had no responses, but it seems pretty logical to me. I was thinking about trying on one of my Eheim 2262. It would be filled with Poret foam. Does anyone have an opinion on it?

I may have just figured out a way of lowering nitrates in my tank. Having viewed some commercial biological nitrate filters it is clear that to remove nitrates you need anaerobic bacteria. With a normal external canister filter that circulates water from the main tank at a relatively high rate you have too much oxygen for the anaerobic bacteria to thrive.

In order to breed the anaerobic bacteria you need a flow rate low enough to guarantee that your canister filter contains oxygen depleted water. The commercial systems use a drippier to feed the filter with drops of water, where the flow rate is 1 - 4 l/hr ( 0,25 - 1 gph) for a small tank (5 L canister) and 12 - 30 Liter/hr ( 3 - 8 gph) for a large tank (30 L canister).

Building a drippier system is complex but putting a timed relay on a normal canister filter isn't. I set a relay timer circuit to 90 seconds off, 2 seconds on. I measured the flow for one pulse to be 100mL, which averages out at roughly 4 liters per hour. I used a spare AVEX 600 external canister filter with a volume of 2.3 Liters. I replaced some of the filter medium with porous clay pebbles to increase the surface are and encourage bacteria growth inside the pebbles where the oxygen will be at its lowest. I used a Velleman adjustable interval timer placed inside a plastic box with a 12V wall mounted power supply. http://www.vellemanprojects.com/be/e...iew/?id=366732

I took some water out of my tank with quite high nitrates and put it in a test tank. I then left in with my anaerobic filter for about 1 month. When i measured the Nitrates they had fallen to zero. I have since connected the filter to my main tank and I'm eagerly awaiting the results.

Has anyone tried this before? Will it work on my main tank? What removed the nitrates from my test tank?

Thanks

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/home-made-nitrate-filter-5657/#ixzz3RvH1mX5e

The link to the controller id no good, but I think it would be pretty simple to find something else.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I didn't do this. I copied it from another forum.

mark.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2006
n/a
I have a Eheim 2213 flow rate of 116g/h on 75 g tank with not quite 4 litters of seachem matrix,it took a few months untill the anaerobic bacteria built up,but now I have less than 5ppm of nitrates in my tank. its nice not to have water changes solely for nitrates removal just once a month. haven't cleaned glass in so long and its still spotless,though I still had a trouble with hair algae that I couldn't get rid of even with no nitrates.started when I put drift wood in and had lots of tannins(got SAE's now its gone too). with only matrix in my filter it takes out Ammonia and nitrites too. so its is possible just have to set it up right and have enough of it to make a differences.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
mark, I guess my nitrates would be higher then the 40-80PPM with 4-10 50% water changes weekly I have now if Matrix truly controls nitrates.

mark.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2006
n/a
sounds like you have a high bio load so you would need more matrix or DeNitrate(but with denitrate you cant have more than 50gph flow), it doesn't how much flow for matrix, only 500 ml per 50g, I'm using 4 litters for 75g and I have very low nitrates, and it doesn't creep up ether it stays low with or with out w/c. I don't know how much you will need, it depends on you nitrate level. but it will help for sure. but it did take 2 months for the bacteria to built up before I saw lower nitrates, that and pothos and w/c(which I know your doing) will help you out. I bought matrix because seachem makes good stuff and it was cheap too, so I thought I'll try it out, glad I did. there also pond matrix for higher flow set ups. start with 4 litters and add from there, no dosing or any thing just clean water.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I'm glad it works in your case, mark. Yes fairly high bioload. I already have 20 liter of Matrix along with my massive water changes and the Matrix makes no difference after more than a year.

mark.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2006
n/a
ether its working and its helping but not up to your nitrate level, or your flow is too high so its not working as well or not at all. what is the matrix in? in any case in with high bio load you will still need lots of w/c, get that drip system set up.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
So I decided to take the plunge and try this. I will be using an Eheim 2262 which holds about 20 liters of media. I am going to put mostly Poret foam in it with a layer of Matrix on the bottom and top. I don't know why I am adding the Matrix, but I am :confused:. I ordered an adjustable timer for Hydroponics to control the flow. http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_15631/TMP-DNE-C-A-P-Day-Night-Temperature-Controller-.html
I am thinking to start I will have it run about 4 seconds per minute. I need to test actual flow to be sure. I plan on carbon dosing with sugar water instead of the normal alcohol due to cost. I really have not come up with a good way to do it other than sticking my arm in and putting it into the intake with a turkey baster. If someone has an idea I would like to hear it. I will update and take pictures when the timer gets her in a few days.
Please leave me any ideas to improve it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store