EMERGENCY: Need to rehome two bullhead catfish ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

scd250

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2010
a college
The tank they were in had a massive blowout and the people housing them don't want them there anymore. One is 12 inches, the other closer to 10 and they need rehomed ASAP!!!!

I am located in the Boston area and can drive them to you.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sorry to hear. You better indicate how far you can drive them. I'd take them but I am in FL.

scd250

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2010
a college
Probably no more than an hour or two :( I'd ship but I doubt they'd make it. I've had them several years now.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
What species of bullheads are they? Any pics? Bullheads are tough and will survive anything (my pap used to bring them home for dinner wrapped in a towel in the back seat if his car for an hour and they'd still be gasping when he got home), so I wouldn't worry about them surviving shipping.

scd250

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2010
a college
Brown bullhead. I unfortunately don't have any pics at the moment (am actually at work) but can try to get some this evening. They will be ugly as the fish are currently in a 20 gallon rubbermaid. They were caught out of a local pond and considering their long tenure in my care I doubt they will get much bigger. They have gone fine (if tightly) in a 50 with a lot of filtration for some time now. They were in a 20 for something like three years before that, which was admittedly way too small but they never experienced any problems except for gill flukes right after I got them which went away with some prazi.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Brown bullhead. I unfortunately don't have any pics at the moment (am actually at work) but can try to get some this evening. They will be ugly as the fish are currently in a 20 gallon rubbermaid. They were caught out of a local pond and considering their long tenure in my care I doubt they will get much bigger. They have gone fine (if tightly) in a 50 with a lot of filtration for some time now.
Theyre pretty much fully grown anyway if they're from the north. Northern strains also tend to look very nice (color wise), let me know if you can ship and I may be interested.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
You beat me to it.
Yes, they are pretty much done growing. GREAT fish - I was hoping they would be spotted or yellow.
Good luck though.

scd250

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2010
a college
I wouldn't know how to go about shipping, and with our current temps I really fear it would kill them :/ They've been great pets for many a year and are actually quite friendly, I'm sort of torn up over this :(

If a few people could walk me through it and ensure me they are likely to survive the process AND you are willing to pay for shipping I may consider it though.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't know how to go about shipping, and with our current temps I really fear it would kill them :/ They've been great pets for many a year and are actually quite friendly, I'm sort of torn up over this :(

If a few people could walk me through it and ensure me they are likely to survive the process AND you are willing to pay for shipping I may consider it though.
Fair enough. If you're that attached to them then why not invest in a 100 gallon or so Rubbermaid bin as a sort of indoor pond for them, that'd give them plenty of room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store