Stackstone tiles for Substrate

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Hi,

My Cichlids had all decided to dig the coral sand in my tank and are spitting it into the intake for my 2262.....

I am thinking of using this instead of sand for the base of my aquarium, can anyone see a problem? The stone is natural untreated stone although what type I am not sure:

This is the front side:

20150216_114119.jpg

This is the back side:

20150216_114133.jpg

It looks like it is stuck together with Epoxy

Please can someone advise?

20150216_114119.jpg

20150216_114133.jpg

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have seen many pictures of people using various tiles for the floor of an aquarium. Mostly slate. I like the look of what you have and have considered using on the back wall.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I have seen many pictures of people using various tiles for the floor of an aquarium. Mostly slate. I like the look of what you have and have considered using on the back wall.
I think it will look nice on the floor,I have considered it but I can't empty my tank to stick it up.

I was worried about the glue used to stick them together...would that be ok?

Sent from my SM-G900F using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I personally wouldn't trust that glue to be fish safe its probably epoxy /solvent based , have you thought about roofing slate or big porcelain floor /wall tiles laid without glue or silicone cut to fit on the bottom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I personally wouldn't trust that glue to be fish safe its probably epoxy /solvent based , have you thought about roofing slate or big porcelain floor /wall tiles laid without glue or silicone cut to fit on the bottom

I was looking for slate, terracotta or porcelain but there was nothing available...the tile shops had nothing that didn't need ordering and a 2 week wait.

What will happen if the glue is solvent based or epoxy?

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Solvent based could leech chemicals into your tank over time as it breaks down (I'm not certain on this but IMO its a risk ) I use quite a lot of solvent and two part epoxy products in work there full of strong chemicals , the epoxy isn't as bad once set solid but still has solvent reactor to make it go solid (obviously I could be completely wrong on this and the tiles you've got could be fine with that glue lol just worth thinking about :thumbup::D) if you try a builders yard I'm sure they'll have roofing slates , but as you know I'm in the UK and there everywhere over here so its not hard to find them , bit of a bummer that the tile shops don't have anything bit in stock you could cut to fit they would have been great for the colours your after

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Solvent based could leech chemicals into your tank over time as it breaks down (I'm not certain on this but IMO its a risk ) I use quite a lot of solvent and two part epoxy products in work there full of strong chemicals , the epoxy isn't as bad once set solid but still has solvent reactor to make it go solid (obviously I could be completely wrong on this and the tiles you've got could be fine with that glue lol just worth thinking about :thumbup::D) if you try a builders yard I'm sure they'll have roofing slates , but as you know I'm in the UK and there everywhere over here so its not hard to find them , bit of a bummer that the tile shops don't have anything bit in stock you could cut to fit they would have been great for the colours your after

This is what it looks like:

uploadfromtaptalk1424159796774.jpg

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Looks good could be a nightmare to clean rather than flat tile or slate your gona need a cleanup crew mate ;):)

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Looks good could be a nightmare to clean rather than flat tile or slate your gona need a cleanup crew mate ;):)

I have a 2262 running on a 300l tank, 1800l/h internal filter running for extra mechanical.

Also have 5 clown loach, 2 yoyo loach, a plecos, a bristlenose and a peppermint.

I think that will surely be ok? Dint you think?

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Yer they should keep the bottom reasonably clean for you :thumbup::D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store