Itching an flicking

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
A couple of my fish are flicking on the sand and rubbing against stuff on purpose what could this be? I don't see any signs of ich or anything on the outside they seem normal other then that any ideas?

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
It could be dominant flashing or early ich. What species of fish are you seeing do this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
My arapiama and my shovel nose cat its been going on for about a week and a half but they never get any ich spots and are still eating like pigs

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Ich can sometimes first start inside the gills, and on large fish is at times hard to spot.
I take photos of my fish almost everyday, one of the reasons is to try and spot things I wouldn't easily notice.
If you take a shot, and put it into the edit mode, and reduce the saturation, you can sometimes see things you may not with normally.
An example, below a shot close to normal

here the same shot, with reduced saturation, and cropped to more easily see the ich spots on the head

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
I've been having same problem.. If no parasites are present, it could probably be nitrates or old water(even clean old water with good parameters) can cause irritation to gills. And over crowding can cause stress to fish that are not use to it. This is what my conclusion came to upon my own problems with this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Recently went through it with my Geo's. I know it wasn't ich because no livestock has been added over a year and a half. No new fish, nothing. Just tap water treated with prime for water changes.

Possible causes:

- Nitrates, ammonia, etc. Test and make sure everything is in spec
- PH change. This can happen if you do a big water change.
- Metals, chemicals, etc in your tap. This is what I believe happened to me (Fish started flicking after a big water change)
- Chemicals added. I believe another reason my fish were flicking was due to me adding a little too much Prime last water change

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Wow to much prime? I do add allot of prime during water changes I never would of guessed that thx big jay

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
Wow to much prime? I do add allot of prime during water changes I never would of guessed that thx big jay
The only reason I noticed this is because last water change I added too much. I realized I did because I added a half a cap more than usual. Fish flicked.

This water change I added the correct amount, no flicking.

If you've recently added livestock/plants...then I'd be concerned about parasites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store