issue with finalizing tank stand

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
These shots are all sideways, but between the three beams in the front of my tank, there is a slight, 2mm gap. It is only the space between the three front beams. Everything else is flushed. Is this a problem?

The gap:
CAM04151.jpg
Shot of the side:
CAM04152.jpg
The piece I am using at the top and bottom of every beam. Side folds in with a hammer for a wrap attachment.
CAM04153.jpg

I am basically done. This is the only issue. Should I stick joists in and call it a day, or try to backtrack? Its going to be holding roughly 4000lbs.

CAM04151.jpg

CAM04152.jpg

CAM04153.jpg

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
That little gap between the left and right 4x4 in the first pick will not be a problem if that's what your talking about. are you using 4x4 joists? each 4x4 placed vertically can withstand roughly 7500 lbs. if the weight of your tank is evenly distributed to the four corners (level stand) then your stand will be more then fine. if you are using 4x4 joists placed every 16" then you are looking at a safety factor of 15x (minimal calculations here). if the gap does get compressed together due to the weight just make sure the stand remains level. in my opinion no worry

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Great. I was hoping to park a commercial jet on top of the stand, and put my tank on top of that. I just finished, I'll throw some pics in the blog~

There are four 4x4's and two 2x4's. The gap is between the top of one 4x4 and the "lid." The pic is sideways

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Great. I was hoping to park a commercial jet on top of the stand, and put my tank on top of that. I just finished, I'll throw some pics in the blog~

There are four 4x4's and two 2x4's. The gap is between the top of one 4x4 and the "lid." The pic is sideways
I wouldn't recommend the jet and the aquarium. the commercial jet weighing in at around 45,000 pounds would give you a safety factor of 1.333. with the aquarium it would be 1.22. Personally I feel that this may cause failure in the long run so I would recommend only keeping the jet and sending the aquarium to me...just for a peace of mind

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store