Tigrinus Info

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
I searched around, but could not find anything great in regards to care of tigs. I am looking at getting a ~4" tig to be grown out in my 75gal, then moved into my 300.

Foods - I've seen some say not to feed fish/shrimp when they are small. What do you guys feed?

Water Movement- Powerheads necessary? I run MP40s in my reef tank, just wasn't sure if they needed something as strong???

Tankmates - Cichla, gar, clownknife would be what the tig would live with. Your experiences?

Growth Rate - From what i've read, about the same as cichla, being 1-1 1/2" / month, up to ~14 inches, then slows...Your experience.

Common Disease susceptibility - ?

Special concerns/notes - ????

Thanks!

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I have mine around the same size and it eats primarily tilapia. Not sure about those tankmates cuz mine lives with a goonch and some bichirs but it seems to love the current i put on the bottom for the goonch. I'll watch it at night and it'll come outta hiding and just swim against the current

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Don't risk feeding MP, or really any salt species. There is much info on that in recent threads. Tilapia, Salmon etc are good choices. They like a lot of current and require high oxygen.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I grew out mine in a 10 gallon with a bubble filter. Once it reached an inch then it went into a 450 with stingrays, arowanas, clown knife fish, fire eels and it did fine with no current. It did good until the power went out over night which killed everything. It ate talapia and feeders and grew very fast. i had to buy feeders by the thousand. (literally by the thousand)

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
Thanks everyone. Sounds like they aren't too sensitive. I've owned TSN before, is their behavior similar? I'd get a TSN again, but i don't have the space. A tigrinus seemed like a good switch.
For those who own or owned a tig, would you get 1 again?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Foods - I've seen some say not to feed fish/shrimp when they are small. What do you guys feed?
*** This should help: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?598702-Help-with-tig-catfish

Water Movement- Powerheads necessary? I run MP40s in my reef tank, just wasn't sure if they needed something as strong???
*** They are a fast water fish but even in fast water there are calmer spots behind rocks, debris, etc.

Tankmates - Cichla, gar, clownknife would be what the tig would live with. Your experiences?
*** Fine if no one can swallow any one. Except may be the gar - these guys bite fish they cannot swallow. Especially timid fish. I think a tig may be such a victim. I'd not risk it until the tig is over a foot, if ever.

Growth Rate - From what i've read, about the same as cichla, being 1-1 1/2" / month, up to ~14 inches, then slows...Your experience.
*** Appears to vary a lot. Perhaps because many have problems weaning them onto dead foods. 1"-1.5" a month are the highest numbers reported. Slower after 1' by 2x or more although some report such a strong slowing down only after 1.5'. Almost no growth after 2'. On my memory, only one tig has been shown here in recent years that was 3'. I don't recall even a 2.5'-er. Sometimes 26"-28".

Common Disease susceptibility - ?
*** see the first link

Special concerns/notes - ????
*** They are not nearly as greedy / voracious as other common large Pims. It appears none of the brachies are. They often, ~ always (?) take time to come out to dinner or wait for food to get near. Hence, in a large community where all others feed aggressively, a tig is unlikely to receive adequate feeding which calls for special measures (individual feeding, spot feeding, etc.)

It seems poorly understood why in roughly 50% cases people report an easy transition to dead foods and even pellets whilst others meet an exceedingly stubborn resistance (such was my case too).

For those who own or owned a tig, would you get 1 again?
Most definitely and not one but several. Many complain theirs are too inactive but I am in the camp that believes tig's attractiveness far surpasses this "flaw".

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I just got a new Tig a few weeks ago from Rare Fish. He took to tilapia strips on the third day (really the first day I tried). Both of mine were easy in that respect. I agree with TBTB......the beauty surpasses any lack of movement. My last one got fairly active after a foot. That was when he stopped hiding all of the time as well. Strangely, he would not eat with lights on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store