Adding driftwood

jwowoski

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New York
I'm thinking about adding driftwood to my tank... Preferred blue ribbon.. Should I do anything or what should I know about adding a real piece instead of the plastic decor? Should I take any precautions? Or what? Throw any info at me about driftwood and tips.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Some pieces might stain your water a little,it may take quite a while for some to soak up enough water for them to sink...How is your shark doing?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
For new driftwood (depend on size) you can boil it in hot water for 20 mins to get all the initial tannish color out and kills mostly anything on it, it still leak out the tannish color over time though (some fish will feel more comfy with tannish color similar to black water effect) and depend how many driftwood you wanted to add in your tank it will lightly reduce your water PH over time too.

Big Jay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2008
Northeast
I took mine and put it in a big cooler with just some tap water. I weighed it down with a rock so it would stay sunken. Changed the water every other day for about a week in the cooler. Then I put it in the tank. I added a touch of prime in case there was any chlorine/chloramine from the tap water still soaked into the wood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store