I need your help! Expert help or otherwise! What do I do with my tank???

I have a 65 gallon tank with black silicone. there is a spot on one side that has an a lengthy, relatively speaking, air bubble.

I don't know if it was there from the beginning or if its a recent development, and i'm not sure if its growing...

Here are some pics - see below.

What do I do? How can I fix this? Silicone in glass pieces on either side of the air bubbles, strip out the section and re-silicone it? strip out that whole side and re-silicone it? How do I do it?

Or should I not trust this tank and dispose of it?

tank_2.jpg

tank_1.jpg

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
If it was mine I would silicone over it from corner to corner. You could strip it out but that is a lot more work and a little riskier. Let it cure fully then fill it slowly to make sure it does not leak. I have several old tanks that the silicone is peeling from the edges about on half way in. They all still hold water.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
New Silicone does not adhere to old silicone too good, I mean it will stick somewhat but trust me then you will have a ticking timebomb. I've experienced it first hand with my 180 gallon. If you want to replace or repair that seam, you will need to strip the entire tank and redo it for the best bond. Or you can wait out the storm and see what happens

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

If it was mine I would silicone over it from corner to corner. You could strip it out but that is a lot more work and a little riskier. Let it cure fully then fill it slowly to make sure it does not leak. I have several old tanks that the silicone is peeling from the edges about on half way in. They all still hold water.
I thought of that but.. I can silicone OVER silicone? That would be o.k.? I heard that silicone won't stick to silicone?

New Silicone does not adhere to old silicone too good, I mean it will stick somewhat but trust me then you will have a ticking timebomb. I've experienced it first hand with my 180 gallon. If you want to replace or repair that seam, you will need to strip the entire tank and redo it for the best bond. Or you can wait out the storm and see what happens

Ok you've scared me! I guess dispose of the tank is the way to go?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Look up youtube tutorials of how to reseal an aquarium. It's easy.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
double post

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I had that happen and decided to purchase a new tank. I wasn't willing to risk it. And at that size the tank its self is the cheapest part of the set up (at least in my case). If you have the time then you could strip the silicone and reseal it.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
TBH getting a brand new 65/75 gallons tank is much cheaper and save you a lot of headache in long run and not worry about it gonna break/leak for years....
*for old tank you can reseal and use it for hospital tank or sump filter...etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store