Need some lighting/bulb help

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Hey All, I'm currently using an Aqualife T5 HO 72" light fixture for my tank. By default It came with bulbs (12, 36" bulbs) for a marine tank, and I've replaced 8 of 12 with a light spectrum for my planted freshwater. I left the remaining 4 Actinic lights in place. From what I read I know that the actinic lights are not needed for freshwater/planted, but I do wonder if there are negatives by keeping the bulbs in. I started getting some "green hair algae" after my tank cycled months ago (which actually doesn't look bad, IMO) - which I'm thinking is attributed to other things, but it did get me thinking about my bulbs in general.

Eventually, I'm thinking of replacing with other light spectrums that would be more of use, but wanted to get some insights from you all. Thanks.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I know not the most interesting topic, but anyone? From what I could gather, looks like Actinic's spectrum although doesn't help in any way, doesn't hurt either. The only reason to use would be if you like the color. Appreciate if anyone else had thoughts on this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store