Changing stock

Slipperypete

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort worth
Ive currently had a SA predator tank for a year now and I am looking to change directions. My tank is a 220 gallon, with 2 fluval fx5s. I am wanting to do a big community tank. I am thinking lots of corys and geo's, maybe loaches. What would be some mid level and top swimming fish I could add. I also wouldn't mind if there was some breeding of some kind that happened in the tank. Not looking to put any effort into getting anything to breed, just open to the idea.

Thanks!

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
I Don't believe Danios do well in the temperature suggested to keep discus. With my 180 Gal Discus community tank I will be stocking with

Bleeding Heart Tetra
Red Cardinal Tetra
Corydora Sterbai
Discus

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
How about rummynose tetras? If you had a huge school of them they would look crazy cool in a tank that size. They school more tightly than any other fish I know of. And even though they stay small I think they would be ok with smaller Geos - Geos aren't very predatory.

You should do at least 20+ corys in a tank that big (Sterbai are best temp wise). I think you could do 30-40 easily.

You could also look into getting a school of Elephantnose fish or baby whales. I think they could do well in a tank like that (if you are willing to feed them the frozen food they require). They are really amazing fish, that more serious hobbyist should keep, imo.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I Don't believe Danios do well in the temperature suggested to keep discus. With my 180 Gal Discus community tank I will be stocking with

Bleeding Heart Tetra
Red Cardinal Tetra
Corydora Sterbai
Discus
+1 not many fish like the temps Discus like. I was gonna say Cardinal, Rummy Nose, or Sterbai. For a top swimmer I may try a Silver Arowana, not really sure how compatible they are with Discus, need more research.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Here is a video of the big tank with a school of ENs - in the video they are kept with loaches, but I wouldn't recommend that - corys seem to be ok, if you train the ENs to eat from a blackworm cone (because the corys mostly stay at the bottom), but loaches will eat from the surface, and faster than ENs can.

[video=youtube;bPq_Qepc0Zc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPq_Qepc0Zc[/video]

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Also look into Uaru - they are big cichlids, with great personality, extremely un-predatory (is that a word?), and they like discus temps. Love them!

Slipperypete

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort worth

Bleeding Heart Tetra
Red Cardinal Tetra
Corydora Sterbai
Discus
damn I was tired early.... not discus... silver dollars! sorry!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store