Small Custom Tank

asteele.19

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Michigan, United States
Recently had a couple of ten gallon tanks start leaking. Instead of resealing them, I think I am going to tear them apart, and use the front and back glass pieces from each tank and make a large square tank. so a 20x20x12. For the bottom, I will be using a piece of plywood. I have read up on the different sealing methods, but my question is, can I find the sealers in smaller quantities? or if I only use a little, does the rest store well or is it ruined if you dont use it all quickly?

I understand that this tank is small and not cost effective, but it is a trial run to see how things go and how well I handle things.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
Im going to follow this as well

Sent from my XT1254 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

asteele.19

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Michigan, United States
well, got one tank all torn down and the majority of the silicone off the glass panels. Need to locate another 10 gallon. Hoping I can find a leaker locally. I have decided that I am going with Dow Corning 732 black silicone to seal the glass together and to the base.

One thing I am unsure on is if I am going to need bracing. Anyone have any input on that?

asteele.19

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Michigan, United States
Small Custom Tank.png

something i wipped up in paint last night. I know its not to scale or even, but thats the general idea of what I am going to do.

The bottom panel will have 1x1 along the sides to act as the frame. I will be using black pond armor on the panel and frame and fiberglass matting the seams. The white holes in the pic are the bulkheads that will be going to the sump in the stand. The stand will be custom as well.

The top panel will also be a 1x1 frame with a support across the middle. As of now I am planning on doing a plywoold panel with hinges as the lid. I would make it big enough so I could fit some sort of light in between the 1x1 frame and the lid. To make it look nice, I will also be using pond armor on these pieces as well.

Also going to try and get an auto top off system setup on this tank as well. Find a way to build the stand around the sump and ATO. Not sure if this is going to be a fresh or salty tank either. Never gone salt before, but I think this would be a sweet clown fish and anemone tank. If I go fresh, I am think a nice school of harlequin rasboras, or another small fish, with a nice shrimp population. Would definitely be a low light planted setup as well.

Hopefully what I have so far makes sense to everyone. As a disclaimer, I am in no way a skilled wood worker, but I have some family members and a couple friends that are carpenters, so I plan on picking their brains on this project.

Small Custom Tank.png

asteele.19

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Michigan, United States
Finally sourced a used 10 gallon on good ol craigslist. Free is the best price! Should have it tore down this weekend.

Progress has been slow, but went on vacation with the lady friend for a week in California, and insurance for the motorcycle and car was just paid, so I am trying to do this as cheap as possible as to not totally rape my bank account.

I am thinking the only thing I will have to buy is the coating for the wood, bulkheads, and whatever material I use to make the overflow wier. I have enough pvc and wood laying around to probably make two stands

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store