Great Barracuda in Fresh?

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
Dude what size tank do u have even if they can u will need a massive tank just like the bumble bee grouper. But it wont matter if your just curious but I think they are saltwater only.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Do we trust the video? There's no proof that this water they're in was freshwater. That said, juveniles have been caught in brackish water in Florida.

CaptainS

Banned
Dec 14, 2014
Bay Area
I agree if they were freshwater they would probably be on river monsters or monster fish and people would be talking about them on the forum much more but that being said they are saltwater and as MN_Rebel said juveniles have been caught in brackish water.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Great barracuda (Sphyraena barracuda) are pelagic (open water) spawners. Their hatched young seek out weedy coastal areas for their safety and for available prey since other fish young seek out the same areas of cover. Young cudas are frequently found upriver of the deltas and in estuaries where they seem to tolerate brackish conditions for a short time. As they mature they move closer towards increased salinity until making it back to full marine conditions. There are no reports of cudas remaining in low salinity levels as sub-adults or older.
BTW, the species reaches an average adult size of 6.5ft and can reach 110 pounds.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I remember snorkeling in the Bahamas and a young cuda was kind of following me around but keeping a distance.It must have been about a foot long and I couldn't tell which species it was.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I was in Hawaii snorkeling and thought I saw something like a small log floating just under the surface so I swam over and it turned to look at me like "you got a problem?" My answer was " no sir I'll be going back where I came from now if that is all right with you". It was maybe two and a half or three feet tops!

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Sea turtles, blue arowana, freshwater barracuda. Is this in China too?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store