"Freshwater" groupers

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
So I have read that Bumblebee Groupers can be kept in Freshwater, at least when they are young, but they get redonk huge! But are there any other [smaller] groupers that can be in freshwater, at least as babies?

I have flirted with the idea of eventually getting a couple "wet pet" type saltwater fish, and puffers and groupers are the two types that interest me. But I would not set up a tank like that unless I knew I really loved the fish in question, so I'd be interested in trying out a baby grouper (if there is one besides the BB that can be started in freshwater) and then maybe transitioning it to SW later. I have also thought of trying FW puffers out but they just don't seem to have the personality of SW puffers!

(I did used to have a small SW tank for a few years, but quarantining in SW is such a pain in the butt, but so, so essential in SW it made me really dislike adding fish to the community. If I only had a couple fish in a big SW tank that would not be such a big deal!)

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Thanks for the suggestion! Just read up on them a bit, and I realize I thought they got bigger than they actually do. Sounds like they usually max out at around 24", but for some reason I was under the impression they got at least 3ft or more. And sounds like they aren't as nippy as most other puffers and may actually be able to be kept with other fish. Now I am wondering if one could live in my 700g tank with mostly large cichlids, and a couple catfish, etc.... hmm

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Check out the 1000 bowfront thread, he has a big mbu in with atfs and assorted other goodies.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Not that I'm promoting the idea of maintaining marine species in FW but, researching different grouper species of the genus Epinephelus will turn up several species that are considered as brackish when young. One or more of these species may yield some success in long-term low salinity environments provided the water is kept alkaline and pristine.

The problem I see is that most people won't go full salt when it's needed - me included to the demise of some really nice scats and monos.

And really, why not just start with full salt? The last part of your post (OP) seems to indicate that you'd be open to it.

If so I suggest a trigger as a wet pet. Can't get much better than that. Groupers and puffers can be boring in that they really just sit there for the most part. Triggers like to swim.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Redearsunfish is right. I have had small groupers in the past and was so excited to get them only to be disappointed at the lack of movement, other than feeding time. My triggers on the other hand have been active whenever the lights are on. In the end though I went back to CA cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store