Kaldness K1 media in FX6???

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
hi guys,

I just got myself a Fluval FX6 canister filter, is going to supplement the filtration on my 125g grow-out tank,

The filter came with some media, like sponges and ceramics, but obviously there is much space for more media in there,

I have a lot of Kaldness K1 media that were left when I was building my pond filtration system and im thinking in filling up the bottom trays of the FX6 with these.

I know that they work best in a moving bed system but I'm wondering if its wort putting them in the FX6 since I got them sitting around.

thanks

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
My advice with the fx6 (yes i own one haha) is to take the sponges that came with the filter out. You can leave the border sponges in, the ones around the baskets, but take the black sponges out. fill up the baskets with ceramic media, or in your case k1 which should work just fine anyhow. The sponges restrict the flow extremely bad on the filter and make it work way to hard IMO. Less chance of motor breakdowns, much better flow in the tank. Its a great filter, just have to know what works in it.

Kots

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2015
My tank
I did thought of removing at least one of the 2 sponges that came in the top basket and fill the rest of it and other baskets with ceramic media and K1, I believe the border sponges should carry out a decent mechanical filtration, but the main need from the FX6 is bio filtration, I'm using 2 other canisters filled with different size sponges on the tank so water is clear from solids.

If K1 is just as good for bio filtration in a canister as ceramics are, then I wouldn't want to go and buy them.

Thanks

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I wouldn't see why they wouldn't work just as well. The only reason people by K1 over ceramic is, like you said, for moving bed filters but they serve the same purpose.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
K1 won't work as well in that application because it doesn't have as much surface area. If you need to buy something get lava rock. The pores won't clog as bad over time as ceramic or matrix will. Those things, the pores are too small for long term effectiveness. The clog with minerals.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
K1 won't work as well in that application because it doesn't have as much surface area. If you need to buy something get lava rock. The pores won't clog as bad over time as ceramic or matrix will. Those things, the pores are too small for long term effectiveness. The clog with minerals.
right, it isnt ideal but he said he had it laying around with no other uses so why not utilize it. but you are right about the surface area, etc. just gotta stay on top of maintenance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store