Multiple America - legal arowanas?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Hey all!

Now that I'm out in California and preparing to start a new life and a new tank, I'm kind of considering moving in a new direction with my fish keeping and trying something new.

As some of you may know, I have a bit of experience with aros in the firm of my old black arowana, Drogo. When I set up a new tank, I would really like to attempt to cohabitate a group of arowanas.

Now, I know that anything in the Scleropages formosus group (not that I can have them) and S. jardini are really aggressive and don't tolerate other fish so well. I have seen examples of multiple South American arowanas being kept together effectively, so I assume I could have a combo of blacks and silvers as I please, correct?

The wildcards for me are leis and afrowanas. I'm not sure if either of those would work in a group. Both of them seem to be able to work from my research, but I'd like to hear some first hand experience.

My goal is one black, a white morph silver, a Lei and an afrowana. Here in Socal, I'm looking to set up an 8', 300ish gallon tank.

Anyone think this could work?

Sent from my Samsung GS5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Afaro juvies seem to relish in killing each other. However, once past the juvie stage they tend to ignore each other. I've been able to re-comm afaros with no aggression issues at the 1-year mark. Leis have the least amount of aggression in my experience. Sub-adults may present towards each other (mouth open lunge) but, I've never seen contact or signs of actual damage (no missing barbels or split fins).
Mixing species is another matter. My afaros showed aggression towards conspecifics until their 1st year.
Why singles of each species? How about a small group of black aro? Once a couple pair off, remove the rest and see if you can get a bonded pair to spawn. I did that with a group of silvers and the bonded pair spawned for me in a 300gal.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Hi Rob
I´ll send the link of this thread to see if he can chime in.
He kept aros for almost 2 decades and I remember his tral of an aro community. If I´m not mistaken it worked for some years but when they became adults, they started to single out the weaker, one by one.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
If it is me you mesn, Joao, it did not happen so.

South americans go well together in groups, be they black, silver or both.

Jardini s are allwys a surprise in the box.

Leichardti is as Phil describes.

Never kept africans. Subscribe to Phils view from what i read over countlesse years.

My ss americans only singled out the weaker when a female silver coupled, or bonded, with the RTG you now have, Joao.

It is the only instance i have seen s americans single others out.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
IMO

Silvers do good with silvers,leichardti and possibly blacks.
Blacks go good with leichardti.
leichardti with leichardti
Blacks with blacks.
Jardini when bigger will need to be by themselves as most times they cause chaos.
African a loner filter feeder and don't do good with their own but may fit in with the blacks,leichardti and possibly silvers.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I would get the lei considerably smaller than the southamericans (big enough not to be swallowed though). Ime, leis can be very mean to southamericans when they get big & pretty equal to size

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Thanks guys! I think I'm going to go with Phil's suggestion of a group of blacks and try to get a bonded pair.

Phil, Miguel or anyone else with extensive aro experience, any pointers either directly or for something to read?

Sent from my Samsung GS5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Hmmm,...pointers,... are you looking for things like bulking up juvie S. Am. aros on baby crickets? Providing aros with surface cover until they're around 10"+ to provide for juvies increased survival instincts (adult fish outgrow a large number of their natural predators)?

I conditioned my adult silvers on large crickets, shiners, and sticks with occassional feedings of earthworms, grubs (as available from my compost piles), anoles lizards, and small grass frogs. The tank had a shallow substrate of fine pea gravel and nothing else except for a clump of dwarf papayrus plants growing in one corner of their 300 gal. My aros were used to movement and people since their tank was next to my cash register counter in my hatchery in WA. Their W/D was a home-built from a 125gal tank and the water return was water-fall instead of a solid stream. In late winter/early spring, once the female looked heavy, I'd do a 30% water change with water that was a few degrees cooler then their normal temp. Both times they spawned was during the night after the water change (a few blue lights would be left on at night. All indoor white lights would be out). The fry were stripped once the eggs hatched and raised in a stock bin I plumbed into the adult's tank filter loop. I stripped the young because the adults would not feed while their buccal sacs were full.

cgibby

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
U.S.
in my experience with africans aros they are very aggressive and territorial within their own species but when put with other fish are complete push overs and ver fragile even the the larger ones (12" or bigger) iv'e tried to keep but agree completely with odballs statement as my luck with these guys seems to be terrible

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store