Drip system?

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Setting up my drip and was just wondering if I would be better to run it directly to the tank or to the sump? How many of u drip hot water, cold water or a combination? Thanks guys

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I'm one of the few that drips hot and cold. I drip to my sump. Hot water is kinda cloudy looking and dripping into the tank you can see it. I drip in sump right by the return pumps

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Warm and cold here.

Drips into tank right by one of the Korilias.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I don't run heaters at all any more but my system is very large and I drip a good amount of hot and cold so I see it on the gas bill but everything I've seen says it's far less than the electric bill would be. Been doing it for a long time now. You can figure it out to do just hot if your system will allow it and heat just with it. But it's not exact you will have some change in temp with weather changing the water. Biggest difference with a drip is that in the winter your cold water is super cold and in summer it's more warm I find at each season change I adjust my drip, but I also try to adjust it as much as I can with my hot water thermostat

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
i drip cold water only. in teh sump, right on top of the pumps.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
I drip 80 gallons a day cold only directly into the tank . My system is about 600 total gallons. I do not run heaters ambient heat and the pumps kept the tank at about 80 pre drip now it sits around 76. Only in the dead of winter the cold water is colder so it is sitting around 74. I keep a variety of tropical species and have seen no ill effects from the short term drop.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Something to keep in mind. Most drip emitters are not going to handle very hot water. The ones JEHMCO sells will not handle water over 80 degrees for long. I called to check on this.

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Thanks for the input guys! Not running a heater would be awesome...however my tank has been running for about a week waiting on my heaters and it's around 66-68 degrees. No good for my rays and discus. I have an 800w heater in the sump now and hope to figure a more cost efficient way down the line.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I've seen this a few times on here. How expensive is it to run a heater anyway? I have 2 300 Watt heaters on a large tank, and I haven't noticed (heard a complaint from my wife) about it spiking the utility bill, yet. And what is the rate per kW/hour where you live? it's 4 cents for me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store