Archer fish question

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
Do archers like current in their aquarium, I'm trying to decide if I should add a power head? So far it's just the aqua clear 110s that move the water. The fish chase each other a lot and I'm wondering if that would help

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
Amazing, four Facebook groups and MFK and no one has an opinion on weather archers like some current? Bump.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
LOL,archers and most brackish fish don't seem to enjoy the popularity of cichla...I don't think it would matter to the archers unless the current is too strong for them to be comfortable.Ive never nor heard of anyone providing any extra water movement for their archers.

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
These are Toxotes Blythii the freshwater clouded archer. I was asking because they are much more aggressive than the regular brackish archers I have had. They all keep to their own corners of the tank and don't like interacting with each other. It's not the "kill kill kill" type of aggression like some cichlids but I was hoping for a more harmonious group.

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
The number might be the problem I'm not sure, I was only able to get four, I wanted seven but four was all they had.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting,I had a trio of blythii and they were peaceful.I might try them again while they are still available....Shoot PetSpoiler a PM for more first hand advice as she has or had a small group not too long ago.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
When I had them I did not have much current since they all like to sit around and spit above the water line. I had pothos and hanging reptile vines and they all seemed to stay in there own areas. Love to check out some pics I miss mine...

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
I'll Ty to get good pics later, they stare out the front of the tank so it's hard to get a side shot. I removed almost all tank mates earlier today. There just with an empire gudgeon, three platies and a few zebra loaches. They seem to like it a bit better now, they still don't like getting near each other but they have a bunch more room now. There about 2 inches right now in a 75 gallon.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Mine stayed together and followed each other around the tank.How long have you had them?

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1424398333.276097.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1424398352.758637.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1424398369.967614.jpg

Seriously ,they actually followed each other around. I've had these four about two weeks now and they seem to hate each other. They are all the same size but one of them runs the whole tank. It won't let any of the other archers come out from behind the plants, it immediately chases them back into the plants. The only good news is that they are all eating like pigs on floating pellets. I thought about pulling the aggressor out but that rarely works in my experience, one of the others would probably become the problem. What temperature did you keep yours at? Mine are at 78. If anyone has any suggestions for me I'd love to hear them. I'm concerned that as they get bigger I'm just gonna end up with a single mean archer. Anyone think it's worth trying to pull out the aggressor??.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store