external overflow for 375

bbluewater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
Southeast
Going to upgrade to a 96x30x30 from midwest aquarium. I was thinking about putting both drains in the middle. Should I go with 1-1/2" or 2" drain lines? Plan on running 2 jebao 12000's. Just looking for some input, not too familiar with this stuff

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I discovered that 1.5 inch pvc is not to common. It seems 1.25 is. I wish I had known that when I ordered my tank I would have done things differently

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
I'd go with 2 x 1.5" drains and use a single pump Jebao or now Jecod has a new DC15000 which is good for almost 4000gph @ only 150 watts. http://www.fish-street.com/jebaojecod_dc_water_return_pump_us_delivery_canj_warehouse

Return line is now 2" off of the dc15000 so run one 2" return line tee it in the middle and reduce to 2 x 1" returns to the tank. You don't even need a gate valve or any adjustment valve really when using these adjustable pumps. The controller gives you enough control over the flow to even it out with your drains.

A lot of people are going to tell you to go with 2 pumps for safety if one fails but for me as I just had one fail tonight its easier to have simpler plumbing and buy 2 pumps leaving 1 on standby for a quick swap out.

bbluewater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
Southeast
That sounds pretty good, didn't know they made a 15000. I like keeping it simple. I'll have to check it out. Thanks a lot!
I'd go with 2 x 1.5" drains and use a single pump Jebao or now Jecod has a new DC15000 which is good for almost 4000gph @ only 150 watts. http://www.fish-street.com/jebaojecod_dc_water_return_pump_us_delivery_canj_warehouse

Return line is now 2" off of the dc15000 so run one 2" return line tee it in the middle and reduce to 2 x 1" returns to the tank. You don't even need a gate valve or any adjustment valve really when using these adjustable pumps. The controller gives you enough control over the flow to even it out with your drains.

A lot of people are going to tell you to go with 2 pumps for safety if one fails but for me as I just had one fail tonight its easier to have simpler plumbing and buy 2 pumps leaving 1 on standby for a quick swap out.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
If you are having a tank built I would consider having a coast to coast overflow put in rather than the towers. Have them drill three holes and do a bean animal drain on it rather than stand pipes. A 1.5" drain as a siphon will drain a heck of a lot of water and it will do so quietly. It will drain more than two 1.5" standpipes. Then returns can either go over the back or have an extra hole drilled for them.

Something to consider!

bbluewater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
Southeast
If you are having a tank built I would consider having a coast to coast overflow put in rather than the towers. Have them drill three holes and do a bean animal drain on it rather than stand pipes. A 1.5" drain as a siphon will drain a heck of a lot of water and it will do so quietly. It will drain more than two 1.5" standpipes. Then returns can either go over the back or have an extra hole drilled for them.

Something to consider!
That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe a 24" area with teeth in the middle. Wanting to have a 10x turnover rateScreenshot_2015-02-19-20-28-41.png

Screenshot_2015-02-19-20-28-41.png

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
With the tank being 96" why not go a bit wider with the overflow? Maybe 48"? You'll skim a lot more of the surface that way. Plus you will only have the overflow at the top, no need to worry about taking up floor space. You'll still have space on either end for returns that way too.

Obviously your call, just how I'd do it! Any way you go will be awesome I'm sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bbluewater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
Southeast
With the tank being 96" why not go a bit wider with the overflow? Maybe 48"? You'll skim a lot more of the surface that way. Plus you will only have the overflow at the top, no need to worry about taking up floor space. You'll still have space on either end for returns that way too.

Obviously your call, just how I'd do it! Any way you go will be awesome I'm sure!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App[/QUOTEI

I guess the drain could be spread out more or 2 separate box. Can seem to find much on external overflows. So you think the 1.5 drain lines can handle almost 4,000 gph?Screenshot_2015-02-19-22-53-19.png

Screenshot_2015-02-19-22-53-19.png

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I should ask, are you going glass or acrylic on the tank? If it is acrylic an external box makes sense, if glass I'd go internal. Either case, I would only do one overflow box and do a bean animal setup, it will flow more water than any other drain systems. If a glass tank, I'd consider something like this-

http://jandrstudios.smugmug.com/Other/40-gallon-breeder-sps/DSC01265/1172541191_U9FUL-S.jpg

Just make it longer, like I mentioned, 36" or longer. If acrylic, that just on the outside but same idea.

You really only want one overflow box, additional will just make it harder to create a stable drain system. Have you looked into a bean style drain before? Also I didn't think about how much water you'd be flowing. 1.5" may not be able to handle that much, might want to up size to three 2" hole in your overflow. That will be more than enough.

bbluewater

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
Southeast
It's going to be acrylic, 1" body and 3/4" top/bottom. The bean animal setup looks good. I'll go with the 2" then. Can I have a wet/dry filter with it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store