Bichir/AFrican Featherfin Catfish compatibility

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
It's 50-50 just like plecos. I had succesed and also failed with this catfish. If u starve them as start to have a taste of slime coat on ur bichirs, regardless of food u drop. During the lights off or when they are active it will go for the slime. However if they never have tasted slime coat on ur bichirs they will do fine.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
It's 50-50 just like plecos. I had succesed and also failed with this catfish. If u starve them as start to have a taste of slime coat on ur bichirs, regardless of food u drop. During the lights off or when they are active it will go for the slime. However if they never have tasted slime coat on ur bichirs they will do fine.
Is this why mine always bites them? I always thought he was being territorial. No damage to my bichirs he just bugs the hell out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
I bought my African Featherfin Catfish this weekend. Its about 7" right now. How will I know if its feeding on the slime coats of other fish? How can I tell the damage its doing if it is in fact doing this?

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
You would start to see white patches on the bichir. and it will eventually kill the bichir.

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
You would start to see white patches on the bichir. and it will eventually kill the bichir.
Are there any photos of this so I know exactly what to look for? Should I get rid of this catfish?

One more question: say these white patches show up and I get rid of the catfish, what can I do to heal the bichir?

Nim Dibbley

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2010
CA
Are there any photos of this so I know exactly what to look for? Should I get rid of this catfish?

One more question: say these white patches show up and I get rid of the catfish, what can I do to heal the bichir?
I didnt mean the catfish would def cause probs on your bichir. I meant if you started to see white patches on your bichir you would need to separate them. They might be ok. just keep an eye on them.

i have never myself seen it in person caused by a pleco/catfish. i have however dealt with the same symptom caused by bichir worms. bichir worms require the added element of parasite medication. If your were to see the patches, I think the best treatment would consist of upping the water change schedule and adding some salt.

I found a good pic here. according to the author he suspected his pleco was the cause DSC03534.jpg

DSC03534.jpg

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I was assured by a well-known and knowledgable vendor that featherfins make great comm. catfish. I purchased a small 2" one about 4 months ago and he as since gone to rough 4.5". He sits under his driftwood all day not bothering a soul in the tank. He eats his carni pellets and blood worms and never charges or bites any other tankmates, 4 of which are bichirs.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Featherfins didnt worked out well for me. They eventually suck the slime of my rays (not my ornates though). I now have syno angelicus to replace the featherfins and dont have any issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store