African cichlids in Hawaii

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Anyone notice that the ponds in Hawaii are full of African cichlids? I'm wondering why.
More brackish conditions possibly?

On a work trip in Honolulu, and everywhere I go... Africans

I found one pond with Oscars and pacu but they had cloudy eyes. Wondering if from the salt/alkalinity.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
That's due to irresponsible fishkeepers releasing fish that they no longer want, the fish outgrew there tank or 'just because'. Basically what's happening to Florida but Hawaii has little to no native freshwater fish left in their waterways.

Sent from my SCH-R830C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
These are man made ponds. Around resorts in Waikiki. Couple SA's but tons of Africans in every pond.

I'm exploring more remote areas tomorrow. Bringing fishing gear. I'll post what I find.

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
That isn't true montelboom. He is talking about hotel ponds. They all stock with Africans. They are full of them. There are a lot of irresponsibly placed fish though. You should go to hawaiibassfishing.com and book a trip for peacock bass, Red Devils, oscars, Lm bass, sm bass and the occasional snakehead. I used to charter there.

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
The body of water is lake Wilson in wahiawa. Shore fishing sucks there and is a kind of rough local area.

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
If it's hotel ponds he's talking about that's fine but you cant say that there isn't a large number of invasive species in Hawaii's waterways

Sent from my SCH-R830C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
That isn't true montelboom. He is talking about hotel ponds. They all stock with Africans. They are full of them. There are a lot of irresponsibly placed fish though. You should go to hawaiibassfishing.com and book a trip for peacock bass, Red Devils, oscars, Lm bass, sm bass and the occasional snakehead. I used to charter there.
I left captain Chris a voice mail. Hopefully he calls back

Lrry93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2007
I get around
Chris or Stan will call you back. Great guys. Tell them Larry that used to do trips sent you. Chris was on the top hooker reality show too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store