will it come crashing down?

canadianforever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ontario
so i got thinking today as i plan to build a large tank for some rays i was going to put it in my basement but i have a nice big open space on the main floor of my house that will fit a large tank perfectly in my living room and it would make a great show tank but how can i know if my floors can handle a 400 gal tank????? i can post pics of the spot from the basement where you can see the floor joists and the 2 cement load bearing walls that intersect in that corner

canadianforever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ontario
any idea how much that will cost me? and sadly i don't think i can put some jack posts in as in my basement right below where the tank would be going is a large custom built 8x4x5' monitor lizard cage with 2' of dirt in it and that isnt and cant be moved haha

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
any idea how much that will cost me? and sadly i don't think i can put some jack posts in as in my basement right below where the tank would be going is a large custom built 8x4x5' monitor lizard cage with 2' of dirt in it and that isnt and cant be moved haha
Well that sucks...LOL

I picked up a jack post at Home Depot for $40 I think.

Or you could sister another beam to the joists.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
You have 2 concrete loadbearing walls at the spot you are putting the tank? if that doesn't hold 4k pounds...find the guy that built your house.

Also what souzie said...reenforce the existing floor joists. I am going out on a limb and saying you will be alright*

*not responsible for bad craftsmanship on the original contractor's/your part haha.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
the concrete walls wont be directly under the tank as they are the outer walls of my house
right well then I say its still fine, but if you can double up the joists and it'll hold. You snap a floor joist you have way more problems than the tank haha

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
How about jack posts and steel I-beams. This could possibly allow you to use the jack posts, yet clear the reptile cage

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store