Eh? How do I begin a Salt Water Marine Tank?

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Been partial, and still am, to Freshwater tanks...but my wife just adores, "Nemo, Nemo". She's been saying she's gonna get a salt water tank one day, so I feel like, "Hey, Im the fish guy so I should just do it for her."

I haven't the slightest idea guys, I know, Slap me a few times.....Gimme me a basic start-up of what to Do and what NOT to do, Thanks guys

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
The bigger the tank the easier it is drilled tank will help. Don't go cheap on protein skimmer and if you want a reef tank buy good quality lights. Live sand and live rock will help seed the tank. Look in to building a fuge that also can help with water quality. Take your time don't rush research the type of fish you want and same with corals. I use reef central for ideas on set ups

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Doesn't have to be all that complicated. You can run a saltwater fish only tank with the same equipment used for fresh water. The only difference is the salt. Bigger is better and easier. Just do a google search for setting up a basic salt water aquarium.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I think it is and shops here even sell it by the gallons...as has already been pointed out Calihawk can keep it simple to please his wife with a few clownfish though.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Been partial, and still am, to Freshwater tanks...but my wife just adores, "Nemo, Nemo". She's been saying she's gonna get a salt water tank one day, so I feel like, "Hey, Im the fish guy so I should just do it for her."

I haven't the slightest idea guys, I know, Slap me a few times.....Gimme me a basic start-up of what to Do and what NOT to do, Thanks guys
This will covered the basics-

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/startinganaquarium/a/ecourse101.htm

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
RO water is not nessecary for SW unless your water is terrible. You can run one with the same equipment as FW plus a protein skimmer. Or if it is under 50g you can do weekly 10% water changes. My number one piece of advice though is make sure you quarantine. In SW it is absolutely essential.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store